I'm a little freaked

:bouncebox

I know in this hobby it is very important to read up on EVERYTHING. And that is what I did after I discovered a 2.5 some inch bristle worm in my tank (he's got a pinkish-tan front and a black/dark back). Anyway, I know that depending on who you ask, these creatures are either good or bad. I'm just afraid that it might be a fireworm. And it seems to be a pretty big one. And I just bought a small (about 1.5") Royal Gramma and I just read that fireworms can eat fish up to 4" long.

HELP! Tell me everything is going to be ok!:help1:

Cougra

I've had those red and black type of bristle worms in my tank for over 6 years now and I've had a royal gramma and many other fish in with themfor many years now. I have NEVER once had any issues with those types of bristleworms (or any other types at that) harming any of my fish or corals (softies). I really wouldn't worry about them.

Having said that, don't try to pick them up with your fingers as the bristles do sting. If you see a worm that is bright red with long white bristles then use extreme caution as those really really hurt shoud you touch them! You're best bet is to ALWAYS wear gloves when working in your tank, especially when handling live rock.

You may want to read this thread as it has a lot of good information on what to watch out for in a tank:

Reef Keeping Dangers

BoomerD

Not likely. Fireworms are very rare in the hobby. True fireworms look like this:
41worm_fireworm_orange.jpg
but there are variations on that of course...
The common and more beneficial bristleworms look like this:
faq_bristle.jpg

While I believe they are in the same family, there is a BIG difference...BUT, don't touch the bristleworm, or you'll find out why many people call even them "fireworms", as the bristles can break off in your fingers, and are very irritating...