If boiling my live rock kill Aiptasia, whats the after effects?

dlea

STORY: I've had my tank for years now. During last year I got out of it, sold my corals and fish. HOWEVER, I kept my live rock and tank in participation of getting back into the hobby. Tank is doing good, got a couple of hardy corals. But it seems I had a glass anemone in my tank while I was taking a break from the hobby and now I'm looking at over a hundred of those darn things. I bought two peppermint shrimp, and not seeing any difference in population. In fact I don't even see them in the day ( I can find them hiding in dark places).

QUESTION: So I thinking about taking some corals of the rock, unfortunately some can't. But I figure that boiling the rocks should obliviously kill the anemone correct? Of course it will kill the live rock too Im sure and the things living inside. So how long will it take to become live again, and should I put the rock back in my tank with the other corals as soon as I'm done?

theplantman

Hopefully you still have some live rock in the tank, if you do, then the existing rock will seed the boiled rock. Make sure you scrub the boiled rock well or you could see a nasty ammonia spike depending on how much of your rock you are boiling. The boiled rock will probably take a few weeks to seed again and become part of your live rock filtration. Look for a mini cycle.

dlea

Yes, amazing enough one large rock has no aiptasia they I can see. Do I scrub it down with regular tap water?

theplantman

Ideally you should use ro water. How many pounds are you boiling compared to what will be left in your tank?