Id's Please??

AnisaG

Found two strange things while staring at the aquarium tonight...
(images to follow)

The first one is what I believe to be a stomatella.
The second one, I have no idea, and the image isn't fantastic, he lives under the rocks at the back of the aquarium... but there multiple (close to 10) feelers that are very thin long and red. The feelers stay pretty close to the sand bed.

Any help in the id's is much appreciated!

AnisaG

Stomatella??

Aquarium_2011.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Probably is a Stomatella in the first picture, but hard to tell.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the second picture, but it looks a bit like a Mantis under the rock on the left.

Martian

I took this photo of my Spaghetti which has banded tentacles up to 6inches long. It started off in the coral rubble base but now lives in a rock half way up the tank.

Attachments

• P1030740.JPG
    P1030740.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 64

AnisaG

ReefMack - would I hear noises if it is a mantis? would my snails, crabs and fish be disappearing?? I really REALLY don't want a mantis. (so far no noise, and no missing livestock)

Martian - it does look similar to that, but there are no bands of color, it's pure red...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Now I see the red feelers, after seeing Martian's example. Maybe what looked like a mantis is nothing at all. Yes - they usually make loud clicks and things start to disappear. That's probably just a rock shape on the left, that looked like it had legs under it - imagination. :)

AnisaG

Thanks Terry, I am actually kind of terrified of the mantis shrimp and have spent lots of time just listening late at night!

Martian

My pleasure :) and yours too I think. I have one with plain colour tentacles but no good photo of it. I should add that anything which clicks is not a Mantis or bad. I have a couple of Pistol shrimp which click too and are good fun (as long as your rocks are firmly based because they are ACE burrowers). Hitch-hikers are one of the best parts of this hobby! Good luck.