ID weird anemone-thing please!

Hey guys,
I've been aware that I've had some sort of anemone in an old zoo rock and now it's large enough to photograph I'd be more than thankful if you could possibly ID this guy. Behind him are the kenya trees and in front is a zoo rock with closed polyps. It's entirely round and it's an inch in diameter when fully open
Thank you!

Attachments

• anemone id.jpg
    anemone id.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 112

redneckgearhead

Hard to tell with the blurry pic. (but I understand how hard it is to get a good pic esp when its small.) But it looks like a coral I seen on the POTM for January. Not sure of the name. Take a look on there and if it is maybe you can ask the person that posted the pic what it is.

the picture is zoomed up as much as I could but there's a better picture on the gallery, i still have no idea what it is but i'll attempt to get a better picture. Thanks for the attempts!

redneckgearhead

Yea after looking in your gallery im positive its the same coral as the submission in POTM. Look on the POTM for january, its in the photography section in the forums. There is a pic of one. The person who posted the pic can tell you what it is.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Yea after looking in your gallery im positive its the same coral as the submission in POTM. Look on the POTM for january, its in the photography section in the forums. There is a pic of one. The person who posted the pic can tell you what it is.

If you mean the second picture in the thread, by mightyreefer, (it's not in the gallery yet) that's a Fungia plate coral. That was my best guess above.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/aquarium-photography-forum/65543-january-11-potm-contest.html

I don't see anything in the January gallery that looks like the one teacampuzano has. I'm 99.9% positive teacampuzano has a small Fungia.

Thanks ya'll!
Upon researching further into the life cycle of fungias I saw that their polyps, unlike the adults are firmly stuck to a rocky surface (just like mine). Also, there's a very nice picture of a polyp that looks exactly how mine looks under this blog if you're interested.(wildfilms: Underwater mushroom garden at Hantu)
Mine looks just like the one on the right!
Thank you again for solving the mystery! :snowski:

Attachments

• fungidbabies.jpg
    fungidbabies.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 53

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Yep - when they get a bit bigger they'll pop off the attachment on the rock and down to the substrate. Pretty cool corals. I hope yours does well.