ID please / Caulastrea (furcata or echinulata)

Brucey

Caulastrea (furcata or echinulata)

Guys . . . . anyone know which this is please. I've browsed all the web pages and it's not jumping out at me.
Brucey

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Brucey - if my little one didn't seriously need to get to bed, I'd do a little extra searching, but for now I'll leave you with this:

Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman
Caulastrea furcata is by far the most commonly available species, with bright colors, smaller corallites, and a slightly less packed array of polyps. Caulastrea echinulata has densely packed polyps, substantially larger and more oval-to-meandering-shaped corallites, and is rarely as colorful as C. furcata. The polyp tissue expands more in this species, often forming trumpetlike extensions from the skeleton. Caulastrea echinulata tends to resemble some faviids when expanded, because of the compactness of the corallites. However, there is usually space around each polyp that hints at the length of the long phaceloid branches. Caulastrea curvata is much more open in its configuration, with skeletal stalks sprawling outward. Greater space lies between the phaceloid stalks, and individual stalks often divide as they grow upward.

Also
Caulastrea echinulata is more drably colored in brownish pinks to grays, and typically shows less contrast between the outer tissue and the oral disc.

Brucey

Hey Nik . . . . . yeah I know that "Little one feeling" now. Can't beat it though. I've got Bornemans book and had read the above. I guess from the description at Caulastrea echinulata but then thought maybe it's not as it's not very common ????? By the way, do you spend hours typing in quotes from books or is it available online somewhere ???? Always wondered ? Anyway mate, thanks for the reply. Take care
Brucey

Brucey

Hi Craig . . . . . about 6" across now mate. My very first coral 18 months ago. The funny thing in I love my SPS's but the Caulastrea is still the best looking coral under actinics . . . . . gorgeous. And amazing at night when all the polyps come out to play.
Brucey

Craig Manoukian

Originally posted by Brucey
amazing at night when all the polyps come out to play.

Sounds like some of the folks I used to know.;) How about a picture of that polyp extension and those nematocysts? Great job Brucey!:D