ick and corals

ieatcoral

Well it happened to me again. I had ick a couple months ago. I was told ick will last upto 45 days for marine ick. Well I think i couldnt wait and lasted till day 39..40...anyways I medicated the tank (20 gal) when i had it the first time, did a 50% water change and so on..lost all my fish..now after all that time I stocked the tank, have a couple small corals and about 20 snails and hermit crabs and 2 clownfish. Tonight I noticed the one clown is breathing heavy and white spots all on him. :( now my question is can ick harm the corals? and wehat should i do. I have a small 2 gal quaritine tank I put the clown in for medication. how should I go about the 20 gal and the other clown that doesnt seem infected/? what a bad night

DaveK

will my medication in the tank harm them?

Yes, just about all medications used to treat fish will harm corals. As a rule, no matter what anyone tells you, no matter what it says on the label, no matter what the LSF tells you, never ever medicate a reef system to treat a fish disease period. There are no "reef safe" medications.

To treat the disease, you need to remove the fish and treat in a quarantine tank, and wait as long as 45 days, as you noted in your prior post.

Most likely the fish you added brought the disease in with them. This is why people often recommend that you quarantine all new fish for 4 weeks before adding them to your reef.

lcstorc

You must remove and treat both fish or the parasite will still be present in the tank and will strike again.