I want some corals.

michael_cb_125

Ok I am still lookin for some new corals for my 100 gal. I have a frogspawn, lobo brain, and a few SPS. Im lookin for a very colorful SPS coral, that is ot too difficult to maintain. I have enough light for anyhting, I have high flow, and my water parameters are in check. I need some ideas.

burning2nd

torch, plate, LPS's, i like the pora faimly SPS's

toadstool leather, xiena, zoo's!!!! lots of zoo's

search the online destribtor's for pic's then get an idea, and go out searching

Gl

let us know what you get

SueT

do you have a Bali green slimer?? There is not many of those that aren't colorful. Mine is electric green and this is a fast growing acropora too. It's a stag, of which these are about my favs. They do come in a wide range of colors from yellow with green polyps to green. I'd love to find a yellow morph.

michael_cb_125

Does anyone have an elegance coral? I knnow that they are not an sps, but I think that I can make some room. I have heard from some that they are difficult to keep, but others have said that they are easy. Who is right?
I have also looked at some Millepora. They are very pretty. I have also haerd that they grow very fast. Again I am just trying to get some ideas.

sgoble

I have always wanted an elegance coral but I have never had anyone tell me they are easy to keep in tanks. Actually, practically everyone I have spoke to regarding this coral tells me they are very hard and only live about a year in the best of tanks. I don't know. I wish someone would tell me different cause I think they are beautiful. They are expensive and with all the money I already spend on my tanks I don't feel I can just throw any away on a coral that is going to die anyway.

michael_cb_125

Now I have benn looking at some Millepora. I have found several Blue ones that are Awesome. Are these very difficult, and do they grow fast? I have also been looking at the Acropora Pocillopora andAcropora Secale. There are some purple and Pink/Green ones that are very nice. Thanks for the advice SueT. I am ordering a Slimer frag this evening.

SueT

Acropora and pocillopora are 2 different sps corals. Pocillopora are very easy to keep, have nice long polyps and are fast growers. Within the genus pocillopora there are then the different species. Same with acropora. Millepora are a subspecies of acropora. I consider acropora millepora not the fastest or easiest grower. They have got to have spot on conditions which include the highest of lighting and flow. Flow is extremely important for this species. Acropora secale is also not the easiest acro to get to grow. I would consider elegance coral to be extremely hard to keep. First you have to find one thats been collected correctly and then find one that adapts to either the LFS's tanks and then yours. They are very hard to keep.

michael_cb_125

I have alot of light. I kinda went overboard on my lighting. My tank is 16 inches deep. I have two 250watt HQI MH. And 7 54 watt T5s. I lnow its not a good wat to meaure but I have 10.5 watts per gallon. And my Lights are 12 inches above my tank. As far as flow I have Two SEIO 600 gph Powerheads. I also have my return from my sump at 1150 gph. It is positioned so that it does not blast anything. Then I have my HOB Refugium that pumps in about 150 gph. My Ca. and Alk levels are in check, and my Green polyp birdsnest and green polyp bushy acro are growing nicely. Do you think this is a suitable environment?

burning2nd

yep....

i have some millipora and monti in a 5.5 with a 70Hqi.....

so your kinda close. (you have more) i think you will be able to keep what ever you want

michael_cb_125

Acropora cerealis?
Acropora gomezi?
Acropora valida?
Acropora loisetteae?
Sorry to pester everyone. But does anyone know bout the difficulty and the growth rate of these?

SueT

Acropora cerealis?
Acropora gomezi?
Acropora valida?
Acropora loisetteae?
Sorry to pester everyone. But does anyone know bout the difficulty and the growth rate of these?

Acropora gomezi and loisetteae are both blue stags. The gomezi is a more deepwater stag. I would consider the loisetteae to be an easier to keep stag of the 2. I happen to have 2 color variants. Valida is a purple tipped or some times you can find a solid purple valida. They are relatively easy to keep. Instead of being so concerned about growth rates I would be more concerned about giving what new corals the perfect environment to grow in. There are very few sps corals that are fast growers. They just aren't meant to grow as fast. You give them the proper calcium alk, magnesium, random flow, lighting, feeding and then they may do good for you.

michael_cb_125

When I was designing my tank I wanted everything to be perfect for SPS. I just like to know anout how fast things grow. Because I have gotten some things before, that have went crazy and overgrown everything. I know that SPS are not super fast growers, I just wanted to know what to expect. All I want is for whatever I get to be happy and healthy. Thanks for the help everyone.

SueT

consider also that from 1 tank to another they will grow differently. If you can get 1/4" of growth a month that is extremely fast and would be mostly on montipora, both plating and branching. I am just trying to give you an idea as to what to expect to as I've kept these corals for so very long.

DrHank

MIchael, you mentioned "Elegance". It is truly a beautiful LPS. They are however hit and miss (with more misses than hits). They generally do not do well in an environment suitable for SPS corals. They are also prone to a disease specific to them. I would suggest further research before trying one. The best place I've found to answer my questions is: Wetwebmedia, Aquarium, Pond, Marine and Freshwater Fish, reef tanks, and Aquatics Information. You may want to check them out.

There are many beautiful Acros however Monties are easier and more tollerant.