I need to add more sand to my tank- where is all my sand? Heheheh

Need more sand. How should I do this? What I originally put down about a year ago was live sand. Didn't rinse it..just poured bags in.

So what and how do I add more now, I really do not want to cause any cycles.

Pleas dish what you all do.

Roots

I just add a few cups of new sand at a time and try to mix it into your existing sand a little bit. I'll add a little bit each day or two until I have added what I wanted to add. Same rule as adding new rock to your up and running tank. Add it a little at a time to avoid any ammonia spikes.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Avoid the live sand. Rinse the new sand really well n get a 4" pvc piece. Pour the new rinsed sand thru the pvc onto the sand. Keeps clouding to a minimum.

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

zchauvin

Avoid the live sand. Rinse the new sand really well n get a 4" pvc piece. Pour the new rinsed sand thru the pvc onto the sand. Keeps clouding to a minimum.

Why to avoid live sand Matt?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

dmatt88

Live sand is defined by the bacteria in the sand. Part of which is die off of organic components. Place "magic " sand in plastic sealed unoxigenated space n expect what? If there's a cycle why add something like that? I've added sand. It develops my cycle not the reverse.

But If I use just aragonite...then I have to rinse it right??? If I use live..then don't I get to do one less step.lol

Or would the live sand cause an issues. I really only want to add some more in areas.

Question also. What's the pinkish reddish colored stuff in my sand ... that up against the glass ...another words when I look at my tank and where the sand meets the glass it's not the pretty white sand anymore?

Can I vacuum it up? I ask this because I get so confused about siphoning. Is it good to do..not good to do? And the whys would be nice too hear too.

I do all I can not disturb the sand bed... Then read your suppose too. It's confusing to me

bmplank86

Someone's been watching Tanked....

Run carbon to clear up water faster. Add slowly.

"No rain, no rainbow"

Roots

I would avoid vacuuming a sand bed any deeper than 1/2"

If you have cyano growing on the sand it's because you have excess nitrates and phosphates in the water and or too little water movement. Adding anything "live" at this point os only going to compound the problem in my opinion. Track down the source of excess nutrients in the water and eliminate that before adding anything that could cause an ammonia or nitrite spike because your biological filter is already at it's capacity for processing the ammonia and nitrite already in the system. If you're not careful adding too many things too quickly will throw everything out of balance and you could end up with a severe nuisance algae outbreak.

Doogle

I need to add a gfo reactor, getting cyno myself, it's phosphates, minerals and nutrients..not really nitrates. Man I want to get rid of all my sand, you can have mine!im done with it.
Carbon won't help much either you need granular ferric oxide and lots of it!
Use RO/DI water and do a thorough cleansing, along with gfo, limit your lighting, and your lights may need replacing.
I have no macro eating nitrates and I have zero nitrates,good flow,brand new lights. Added chemipure elite ( has some gfo in it) and the cyno disappears every night only to come back after the lights have been on all day, it used to not go away before I added a little gfo.

Mmmnnnnn...so the pinkish color is cyano..wow..all my parameters all clear and good to go..looks like its then getting trapped in the sand. Maybe I should ass more sand clean up crew. But I don't want things disrupting the sand where it disrupts my little whittle baby elegance coral.

Yayahaaaaaaa... I tell everyone who comes over..get a tank it's easy..lmao

Soooo I don't vacuum it up then??????
Thanks all

bmplank86

Better water, fresh bulbs, more flow, water changes will clear it up

"No rain, no rainbow"

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
off the shelf "live sand" is so callec because its reputed to have live biological coponents to it. But as Dmatt88 said, without oxygenation and circulation, those die over time. So adding it to your tank is guaranteed to cause an amonia spike. Strait up dry aragonite gravel or sand is best to add to an active system. Rinse it well to get all the dust that can cloud the water off, then add slowly (again as Dmatt88 said) through a Pipe or tube, directly onto the existing sandbed. Mix it with a glass rod or pvc pipe. Mix slowly to avoid clouding.

Cyano is a natural part of the process of cycling. People toss around the word Cycle and mention 3-8 weeks...but everything i've seen and read says the cycle isnt complete till the tank is stable and fairly static for 6 mo. So cyano can break out for short times when changes are made to the tank, or when excess nutrients are present. Nitrate/phosphate are the 2 most common, but there are others, ie Silicates, excess feeding etc. Unless the cyano becomes a nusance(ie covering corals), its easiest just to vaccuum it off and wait to see if it comes back. By vaccuuming it off, you remove not only the cyano, but the nutrients it would break down into naturally, from the system. unless the cyano persists longer than a couple weeks, i wouldnt worry too much. If it does, do a couple 25% water changes, made with RO/DI water, cut back on lighting schedule to 7hrs a day or less, and monitor feeding. Almost without fail, every time i rearrange my live rock(big changes to the tank), i get a cyano outbreak for a few days.

Doogle

Don't think id bother washing live sand. Just add a small cup of live sand that's wet with your tank water and pour it onto the sand bed, it won't make sand storms with large particle live sand and its wet. Add a cup or so slowly every few days or once a week.

Or add dry sand, just wet it first or do Matt's trick by pouring it down PVC , never tried it but it sounds like it might work, no problems with dead sand.

I wouldn't add sand if your having cyno issues, I'd do the opposite and start scooping it out it out carefully. A little at a time.