I need help

funkpolice

thanks to everyone. I've decided to do some modifications this sat. if I don't have to work. I'm going to add a black background. I'm also going to do a major rework of the rock. I have some questions concerning live rock. Is there such a thing as too much live rock. In order to do what I'm imagining I'm going to need some more. Also, if I buy LR at my LFS (I feel like a dweeb using all these acronyms) can I add it to my tank imediatly, or do I have to cure it? Also, does it have to be acclimated? When building formations of questionable structural integrity, what is the best way to keep my rocks from falling? Can I use super glue, or drill and dowel them together, Let me know. That's enough about LR. again thanks for the support so far, however unwarranted it may be. I'll talk to you guys/dolls later.
bill

funkpolice

I just did a search and came up with a 48" PFO Galileo Led system. It looks really cool, progamable clouds and the like. Are there any disadvantages to this kind of lighting? Will it limit me at all? I don't know exactly all the corals I want, but I don't want to be limited if I find something really cool.
bill

lcstorc

I don't think you can have to much LR for biological filtration but you do want to leave room for the fish to swim and to place corals. Really it is up to you and how you want your tank aquascaped. If you want to stack the rock in a way that is unstable then yes you can drill holes in the rock and use dowels to connect the rocks. Some people also use zip ties to attach the rock and you can use super glue gel and/or Marine putty. I wouldn't rely too much on the glue or putty. Things will be much more stable with the dowels or even zip ties.
How long the rock has been in the LFS system is going to make the difference of to cure or not to cure. If it has been in their system for several weeks and you transport it wet then you do not need to re-cure it. If there is any die-off present then you want to re-cure.
You do not need to acclimate the LR.
Hopefully I got them all.

djbacon

I have had pretty rotten luck with the putty myself.. takes a while to cure and unless you make puzzle pieces that interlock, it will not stick. good for atttaching new corals on plugs but not large live rock.

Bought some reef gel glue, in the mail - we'll see.....My next tank will definitley get some more attention to the scape before the water goes in.

funkpolice

thanks for the replies. and now, some more! How long can I keep the rock out of the water while drilling.
How dense is LR. is a standard drill bit enough or do I need a Masonary bit and hammer drill?
What is a good material for doweling? I'm a custom metal worker, so I have access to all different metals. Would stainless steel work?
Wow, I can't belive I didn't think of this earlier, but some co-workers and myself made a life size carribean reef shark out of stainless steel a couple years ago. I should post some pics. maybe I can find a link.
thanks again.
bill

Varga

Mandrins are amazing but you do need lots and lots of pods, which you will have very soon, really helps if you have a fuge. pods can multiply in there before the fish eats them all!

I bet if you add a few more brown pulsing xenias, close to each other, the clown fish would host them, hopefully. mine love the xenia, never get out of it unless to eat.

you can always use egg crate under your live rock. build steps and such to create caves and ledges. also saves $$ on live rock and allows for flow behind the reef.

good luck

funkpolice

Building shelves may be a good idea.
I don't think it will be long before I have more brown xenia. I see a new branch starting everyday. Last night I went downstairs to get some milk at about 3am and happened to look in the tank. The xenias were pulsing super fast, like 120 times a min. I know people are worried when thier xenias don't pulse, but can too much pulsing mean something bad? It looked really cool. I sat down there and watched for over half an hour.
bill

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sounds like you're doing your research very well and ahead of time.

I wouldn't worry a BIT about Xenia. It will pulse slow some.. fast some.. NOT some... It will grow like MAD then melt away. It's just a care-free coral so take advantage of that and place your concerns on another item in the tank. :)

I bought acrylic rods (Very inexpensive) from US Plastics and "pegged" rock together. For most things I just cut it into short pieces 2"+/- and drilled partially into each section of rock. Then insert the peg in (with a dab of glue for safety) and pressed them together. On one piece (Live Rock Tree) I drilled completely through EACH rock and assembled them all sort of like a "Skewer". Worked out GREAT!!!

Live Rock can be both Dense and Non-Dense. It just depends on where it came from etc. When drilling my rock sometimes it was like cold butter (drill bit almost fell through it), sometimes like Ceramic (almost impossible to drill through) and sometimes it was so brittle I had to go slow to not shatter it. At one point I was breaking 1/2 of the rock I was drilling. Luckily I had a LOT of extra rock to work with as I was using DRY Base rock at the time.

You'll need a good quality Masonry Bit. If you have accesss to a Hammer Drill it's easier but not required.

How long? That depends on what's already ON the rock. Generally with WET Live Rock I don't keep it out of the water any longer than 10 -15 minutes at a a time. When working with Live Rock I put it all in a "Kiddy Pool" with water (usually left over water from a Water Change) and work with one piece for a few minutes and put it back into the "Pool". This way I minimize any additional die off. It's actually very barbaric in one sense of the term and lends itself to allowing you to be very "Creative".

Whatever you do and however you do it the only thing you need to keep in mind is HAVE FUN and KEEP IT SAFE! That's for you and your "Wet Friends". Remember while working with it to use SAFE work practice (Water and Electricity don't' mix well) and slick floors make for sore backs and necks. As you're assembling the pieces try to arrange them to where they are as stable as possible before any pegging or glue and the end result will be much stronger (aka SAFER).

Good luck and TAKE pics as you go :)

Here are some quick shots from my Rock Scape build

from this pile
IMG_3591.jpg

Drilling
IMG_3663.jpg

IMG_3665.jpg

Balancing the rock
IMG_3667.jpg

Getting it ready for the tank
IMG_4016.jpg

In tank
IMG_4031.jpg

Live Rock Tree (LOVE it )
IMG_4156.jpg

IMG_4162.jpg

and lastly a shot of what it looks like today with pegged, glued and balanced rock
IMG_4234.jpg

By all means enjoy the PROCESS and you'll enjoy the end result more.

Good luck and HAPPY Reefing :)

heels92

I have not drilled or glued my rock. Actually I paid one of my LFS's to come out and help me aquascape mine. But, if you take your time and be patient, you can do it yourself. I have moved things around some since then but not much... Unless you want something really exotic like Al's rock, I think it might actually be easier than you think not attaching the rock. You could make a couple of the live rock trees but still have the majority of your rock free standing.

The advice I got, was that your tank is always going to be changing over the years, so you need the rock to be easily changed. The rock is alot heavier than you might think and should hold itself in place once you get it in a stable position. Also, once you do get it the way you want it, leave it alone. I am not an expert by anymeans and there are alot more experienced people on this forum than myself...but it has been my experience that overtime, your corals and coralline algae will eventually cover your tank and thus bind the rock together as they attach themselves to different rock.

I just got started in this hobby a couple of years ago, any I feel like I am having deja vu...the same questions you have I had, almost to the letter.

As far as the lighting is concerned, I fully agree with the advice here. I did not have alot of money to spend on lighting, but I found this company out of california Catalina Aquarium that makes and sells lights for about half the price as everywhere else I checked. I have had my 36in 250 MH with 2x96w actinic lamps on my tank for about 1 1/2 years...and I bought them from these guys for about $350.00. I admit I was a little leary at first, but they have a 5 year warranty. I have not had a problem with them at all except for having to change the bulbs at normal intervals. BTW you can get your replacement bulbs from them for about half the price you would pay anywhere else. $49 for 250 MH and $21 for your 2x96. And I actually call them and they have great customer service. I have called them a couple of times over the past couple of years with questions and I have been talking to the owner and his wife. They seem like a great family company.

As far as the mandarin...wait....I have one and waited a year and he has done fine.

As far as the color is concerned...ditto...I had the same desire. Again, what everybody else said in this post.

If it were me, and opinions are like :nekid: everybody has one, I would worry about upgrading the lights (and you will) now and let the tank mature.

Her is my tank:

Heels92_Tank.jpg
[/IMG]

heels92

Ps, the white bow you see on the back of the tank is where my coraline algae died when I had to break down and reseal the silicon in the edges of my tank...that is another story. But as you can see, the coraline algae does add color. I have recently added the two big rocks to the front of the tank and the coraline algae is in the process of engulfing that as well.

Darrell

funkpolice

thank you, thank you, thank you. Lots of good stuff. I'm going to fill some coolers w/ water tonight and have them ready to hold all my rocks. I really like the rock tree idea. I'll look for some acrylic rod, but what kind of glue should I use? I'm pretty excited about this project, I've already made a few sketches of what I want, but I'm hoping the rock will tell me what to do. NO DRINKING until the rock is back in the tank! thanks again.
bill

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
glue?

Ok if it's just to hold something light weight or very short term I use Super Glue Gel and lay it to it. It sets quick but doesn't have a lot of HOLD-Em! If it needs to set HARD and Long Term I use Marine Epoxy. It doesn't set quick but sets HARD as a rock. If I need both I put a big dab of Super Glue Gel and ALSO use Epoxy. With the Live Rock Tree I only used the Epoxy in the BASE where the acrylic rod is seated. Everything else is just stacked one on top of the other.

Take PICS :)

funkpolice

So just plain old super glue from a drug store is fine? I will take pics. Has anybody seen the cast structures that GARF has. They look really cool.
bill

funkpolice

Well, maybe a little. Old Style and myself kind of have a history. If I drink and drill rocks, well, before I know it we'll get to talking. The problem is, Old Style never shuts up, and I wouldn't be able to work. Every time Old Style hangs around for awhile, he calls his buddy Jameson. Jameson is a trouble maker and would love to see a 1/4" masonary bit plunged into my leg. So I'll finish my project, then hang out with my friends.
bill