I NEED all the advice I can get....

coolio21

Currently I have a 14 gallon biocube reef tank that has been running since April 15th of last year. I have a coral beauty and maroon clown, fish wise. Coral wise I have a rose brain, 2 hammer, tree(forgot the real name), Green tipped star polyps, acan, and a couple of zoas. Theres a few crabs, fire shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and a few snails. Since collecting coral is SO addicting I purchased the Red Sea Max 35 gallon tank, the newer model. I also wanted to be able to get a couple more fish and for my fish to be happier. :shades:

I haven't yet started the new Red Sea Max tank at all no cycling or nada. I wanted to transfer all my stuff to the new bigger tank. Personally I'm worried about transferring my fish and critters and acclimating them. Since this is Red Sea Max forum and I know many have moved their stuff to another tank. I need all the advice I can get. Like time periods when I would gradually do or add things. I understand I need to cycle the tank, though not sure how long in this situation. I know I need new water, more liverock, sand, a new heater, and probably a new water pump. But other than that I have nothing else and want to make sure it all goes smoothly. So please if you have any advice or directions you can contribute, I'd hella appreciate it. Thanks :yup:

-Sonia

GregT

Hi Sonia,

I haven't done what you want to do but personally I'd start by ading some new water get some new sand, seeding with some of your existing sand and cycle, keep both tanks going in parallel and then move some rock over once the cycle's completed in the RSM and some of your soft corals.

There was a thread I read somewhere about someone who tested the RSM250 and did what you want to do, cycling then swapping over, documenting it in detail so maybe someone will be able to point you to the thread?

I don't know if I'd replace anything (if it aint broke don't fix it)
That 14 gallon would be cool frag tank.

Cheers
Greg

Tokalosh

Hi Sonia

If you are not setting the new tank up in the same place, then I'd do it correctly and build the new tank first. Let it cycle and then move everything over to the new tank.

However if you are putting the new tank where the old tank is then you must be prepared for a long day. This same day transfer method works but it is not the best way to do it. Keep in mind that you will still get stressed fish and corals and you may even lose some.

I went from a 130 lt to a 250 lt in one day, First I mixed up my new water in a container over a period of a week. This new water matched the old water I had in the old tank as far as salinity and temp are concerned as well as calcium and a few other parameters such as PH.
Once this was done I got some very good polly boxes filled them up with water from the old tank and transferred the fish into one and LR and corals into the other.

I then dismantled the old tank and put the new tank in it's place. I put new substrate into the new tank and the new water which I had previously mixed up. Once this was settled and I had finished transferring as much of the old filter media over as possible I then started to put as much of the old water back into the new tank. This was then followed by the LR, corals and then the fish.

My new tank has been going for 4 weeks with no casualties, but be warned that this is not the ideal way of doing things and I’m still bracing myself for that new cycle spike. I monitor the tank very closely and do 15% water changes every week. I’ve also cut back on the feeding as much as possible.

Hope this helps, but I’m sure that there as other experts that will chime in and assist where need be.

Good Luck :thumber:

Tok

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sonia - Welcome to the RSM Club !!! Congrats on your new RSM 130D !!!

Great advise above ^

I would... Start up your new RSM & let it go through a "normal cycle" is your best bet, add new Aragonite sand (below what many use, nice pretty white & not to small so as to blow & suspend)

CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand

I would add some dry rock like Marcos Rock Marco Rocks The finest aquarium rock available seed it with some LR, add a deli shrimp, let it rot / disintegrate, start testing ... in something like 2 - 6 weeks your tank will be cycled, then your can start moving over your livestock & everything should go great ! Watch for the ammonia to soar then fall to zero, then the nitrites soar & then fall to zero, then the nitrates soar, once this happens, do water changes to get rid of the nitrates - tank cycled :)

Be sure to start us a tank thread & post us some pics ! :dance: All the best !!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sonia - welcome to the RSM Club! I've never done what you'll be doing, but lots of good advice above. Plus, you've already got the experience from running the BioCube, and that will be helpful too.

coolio21

Someone at the aquarium store I go for my water and other things told me I should scoop some of my old sand in there while its cycling to help the process. I was going to add my old rock, coral, to the new tank when it was ready. Ive had a not so good experience with aiptasia recently so I kinda wanna limit some of transfer. I don't know if it'll help. But thanks alot for your input its helpful. :]

coolio21

Hi Sonia

If you are not setting the new tank up in the same place, then I'd do it correctly and build the new tank first. Let it cycle and then move everything over to the new tank.

However if you are putting the new tank where the old tank is then you must be prepared for a long day. This same day transfer method works but it is not the best way to do it. Keep in mind that you will still get stressed fish and corals and you may even lose some.

I went from a 130 lt to a 250 lt in one day, First I mixed up my new water in a container over a period of a week. This new water matched the old water I had in the old tank as far as salinity and temp are concerned as well as calcium and a few other parameters such as PH.
Once this was done I got some very good polly boxes filled them up with water from the old tank and transferred the fish into one and LR and corals into the other.

I then dismantled the old tank and put the new tank in it's place. I put new substrate into the new tank and the new water which I had previously mixed up. Once this was settled and I had finished transferring as much of the old filter media over as possible I then started to put as much of the old water back into the new tank. This was then followed by the LR, corals and then the fish.

My new tank has been going for 4 weeks with no casualties, but be warned that this is not the ideal way of doing things and I’m still bracing myself for that new cycle spike. I monitor the tank very closely and do 15% water changes every week. I’ve also cut back on the feeding as much as possible.

Hope this helps, but I’m sure that there as other experts that will chime in and assist where need be.

Good Luck :thumber:

Tok

Thats very helpful thanks. :D So I'm going to have to supplement the water like I did before with calcium, Magnesium and all that while cycling right? When I'm transferring my fish should I get bags from my store to acclimate them to the new water in or put them in something else? So I should put some of my old water in there as well? I know lots of questions lol. Thanks though

coolio21

Sonia - Welcome to the RSM Club !!! Congrats on your new RSM 130D !!!

Great advise above ^

I would... Start up your new RSM & let it go through a "normal cycle" is your best bet, add new Aragonite sand (below what many use, nice pretty white & not to small so as to blow & suspend)

CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand

I would add some dry rock like Marcos Rock Marco Rocks The finest aquarium rock available seed it with some LR, add a deli shrimp, let it rot / disintegrate, start testing ... in something like 2 - 6 weeks your tank will be cycled, then your can start moving over your livestock & everything should go great ! Watch for the ammonia to soar then fall to zero, then the nitrites soar & then fall to zero, then the nitrates soar, once this happens, do water changes to get rid of the nitrates - tank cycled :)

Be sure to start us a tank thread & post us some pics ! :dance: All the best !!!

I've never heard to use the bigger grain of sand. Whats the difference and why is it better? Then same thing with the dry rock, so its better to put mostly dry rock with some live rock to make it "live"? Thanks alot for your advice...very helpful :dance: Oh and I was thinking of making a thread of the rock build, cycling of the tank etc with pics. Will do once I start the tank :yup:

coolio21

Sonia - welcome to the RSM Club! I've never done what you'll be doing, but lots of good advice above. Plus, you've already got the experience from running the BioCube, and that will be helpful too.

Thanks for the encouragement. :D I love the pic of your madarin Goby by the way. I've seriously considered putting one in my new tank when the time comes. As long as my 2 feisty fish wont bug it. I've heard they're more peaceful.

coolio21

Hi Sonia,

I haven't done what you want to do but personally I'd start by ading some new water get some new sand, seeding with some of your existing sand and cycle, keep both tanks going in parallel and then move some rock over once the cycle's completed in the RSM and some of your soft corals.

There was a thread I read somewhere about someone who tested the RSM250 and did what you want to do, cycling then swapping over, documenting it in detail so maybe someone will be able to point you to the thread?

I don't know if I'd replace anything (if it aint broke don't fix it)
That 14 gallon would be cool frag tank.

Cheers
Greg

Someone at the aquarium store I go for my water and other things told me I should scoop some of my old sand in there while its cycling to help the process. I was going to add my old rock, coral, to the new tank when it was ready. Ive had a not so good experience with aiptasia recently so I kinda wanna limit some of transfer. I don't know if it'll help. But thanks alot for your input its helpful. :]

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You are very welcome !

So I'm going to have to supplement the water like I did before with calcium, Magnesium and all that while cycling right?

not while the tank is cycling... maybe not at all, depending on how many hard corals you have...

A cup or two of old sand to the new would be fine, but most of your good bateria is in your LR - you can start with dry rock or all LR, dry rock is cheaper & will become alive and is clean - in my 1st tank 130D I started with all LR, in my 2nd I went with 80% dry rock & 10 LR - if you are fighting some aiptasia, then another good reason to start with dry.

check out the gain sizes in the sand here... I am just not a fan of sugar size, as it can blow & suspend in the water column CaribSea Dry Aragonite | Aragamax Sugar Sized Sand | Aragamax Select | Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand | Fiji Pink Reef Sand | Flamingo Reef Sand | Bermuda Pink | Grand Bahamas Biome | Super Reef

Hi, I went from a rsm130 to a 450ltr tank, if you have a look at my tank thread below you will see how I did it. I don't know if it was the best method but I have had no problems other than some brown and green algae on the new sand. I am doing 10% water changes every 5 days at the moment and stirring the sand at the same time with a turkey baster. This keeps the sand clean and durring this time I put my vortech pumps on full to stop the detrius from settling, it then gets filtered into a filter sock, you could use some floss in the rear chamber. As soon as the tank clears I wash the sock.
I don't know if I do things the recomended way, but it makes sense to me and seems to work. Best of luck on your new adventure.

coolio21

You are very welcome !

not while the tank is cycling... maybe not at all, depending on how many hard corals you have...

A cup or two of old sand to the new would be fine, but most of your good bateria is in your LR - you can start with dry rock or all LR, dry rock is cheaper & will become alive and is clean - in my 1st tank 130D I started with all LR, in my 2nd I went with 80% dry rock & 10 LR - if you are fighting some aiptasia, then another good reason to start with dry.

check out the gain sizes in the sand here... I am just not a fan of sugar size, as it can blow & suspend in the water column CaribSea Dry Aragonite | Aragamax Sugar Sized Sand | Aragamax Select | Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand | Fiji Pink Reef Sand | Flamingo Reef Sand | Bermuda Pink | Grand Bahamas Biome | Super Reef

If it'll help with my aiptasia problem I will definitely look into getting some dry rock with little live rock. I probably have around 15 lbs not so sure of live in my current tank. Sp I've gotta figure out how much more I'll need in addition to the new tank. The sugar grained sand does get all over the place, I agree. Thanks alot I'm going to try both out. :)

coolio21

Hi, I went from a rsm130 to a 450ltr tank, if you have a look at my tank thread below you will see how I did it. I don't know if it was the best method but I have had no problems other than some brown and green algae on the new sand. I am doing 10% water changes every 5 days at the moment and stirring the sand at the same time with a turkey baster. This keeps the sand clean and durring this time I put my vortech pumps on full to stop the detrius from settling, it then gets filtered into a filter sock, you could use some floss in the rear chamber. As soon as the tank clears I wash the sock.
I don't know if I do things the recomended way, but it makes sense to me and seems to work. Best of luck on your new adventure.

Great thread and tank, it looks so healthy! What is your secret? haha :) Thanks I appreciate it though.

coolio21

when I upgraded from my 130D to my 250, I left behind 45 pounds of premium tonga branch LR, because I didn't want to bring xenia coral into my new rsm 250

Marco rock , cheap, great & free shipping... then you can add like 5 pounds or so LR (130d) from lfs that is free of pest... other choice is a $100 one that works :)

Saltwater Aquariums, Fish Tank Supplies, Aquarium Products & Reef Tank Equipment - Majano Wand

Yeah because, I think I have around 15 lbs of live rock in my current tank with coral growing and glued to it. If I could I wouldn't bring any of it since I have aiptasia. But I think I'll try the mostly dry rock with the new tank and then later add my liverock. Thanks alot though. :)

Robzilla

I just moved and all I can say in addition is MOVE FAST. I moved 10 minutes from my old place and the tank took an entire day in itself. Map everything out before hand and know EXACTLY how you are going to do everything. There will still be surprises even with the best planning so be prepared and good luck!

PS you cannot have too many buckets. I got extras and almost ran out!