I had a jumper!

jensthemom

I am sad to say - I had a jumper today and the end result was the death of one of my first and most favorite fish, Rasmussen the red headed fairy wrasse.:tears: This was the 4th time he jumped ship and the only time we didn't see him do it! He was quite a flyer and one time smacked me in the head when he jumped. My daughter yelled, "Mom, Rasmussen is on the floor." It was already too late. He wasn't breathing. I picked him up and set him in the tank for a few moments, but he was already stiffening up! I was always afraid this would happen.

I know wrasse are jumpers, but with an open tank, what can you do? I assume I am not the only one??

Jen

lcstorc

Sorry to hear. That is always a tough one.
Eggcrate works great to keep most fish in. There are a few(yellowspot jawfish) that can even get through that but most can't. You can get it in the lighting dept of your local home improvement store. Cuts to size very easily and is usefull for many things around the tank.

slakker

It does slightly, but very slightly and I prefer to keep the fish in over the slight loss in light. It's debated whether it is good or bad, but I use the "silvered" egg crate to minimize light absorption from the egg crate. Some say it's bad to use the silver ones as it may peel and end up in the tank... I have had some peeling, but no adverse effect. My fishes ignore it...

reefsmoker

Jen sorry to hear =( I know some people with open tanks use vinyl or plastic screening, like for patio doors, some reptile or terrarium dealers might have something to fit your tank just right. Possibly a screen or window repair small mom&pops place might make something custom for you.
--For sure DON'T USE Aluminum or metal of any kind.--

Hornet

Jen,

Here is a link to a thread on RC that shows how to build a mesh netting cover. If you scroll through the thread you'll see pics that show the tank with eggcrate and with mesh netting. I think it looks pretty nice and I'm going to build it for my tank... once I get around to putting something in it :D