hydrometer Calibration

wazzifam

My meter always reads alot higher than the LFS, anywhere I take the water to test it. I know the approximation its off, but I dont wanna assume. Id rather have good test equip. Someday I will be able to get a new one. t
One of the LFS said he could recallibrate it... Its the plastic instant ocean one.
can this be really be done? or are they all untrustworthy?

Anyone know how? I'd rather do it myself... Not to trusting of others right now.

BEELZEBOB

dont mean to be a ****, but throw it away. buy a refractometer and calibration fluid.

if your LFS uses a hydrometer, dont trust um

lcstorc

I agree 100% but if you test the water with a good refract and your hydro to find out how far off it is you can make a mental adjustment when you test yourself. They key is to rinse it off well every time and store it upside down.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ditto to Lynn (I ditto her a LOT it seems).

The refractometer is so FAST... Accurate and reliable that I can't imagine going back to a hydrometer. If you look around you can usually find good ones for less than $70 and for something as critical as your SG it's money WELL spent.

wazzifam

I would love a refractometer!! I knew the answer was to throw it out!!

is it poss to even do what he suggests and do that to the plastic thing? thats what boggles this mind.

Santas getting one heckuva list, he better dig deeper into his bag...:tongue:

wazzifam

I agree 100% but if you test the water with a good refract and your hydro to find out how far off it is you can make a mental adjustment when you test yourself. They key is to rinse it off well every time and store it upside down.

They key is to rinse it off well every time and store it upside down.

always rinse it out, but upside down hadnt crossed the mind! makes sense.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'd clean it VERY good.... and rinse it out like 1,000,000 times with RO/DI

then get a refractometer to compare it to (NOT another hydrometer) and like Lynn suggested make a note (mental OR on paper) where it is when the refractometer reads your desired SG (I like 1.024 - 1.025) and THEN keep it clean, dry and stored upside down till after Christmas!! Then make Santa a BIG batch of cookies and fresh Vitamen-D fortified milk :)

wazzifam

Sounds like the beginning of a plan...
think Santa may want ALOT of sweets and Alot of Anejo' for relaxation before releasing the scroll this year!! LOL

AL we like your plans!!

cbrownfish

I always found that hydrometers read high. The best way to calibrate them is by discarding and purchasing a refractometer. :D

You can fill the hydrometer with distilled vinegar and soak it overnight. This will remove and precipitation and residue.

wazzifam

You people are truely brothers and sisters in this fishy world. You all think alike, and I have to agree. Asap, ITS outta here!!
thanks for info. Im gonna have to use it for now, so im gonna take it with me next time I get water. check it there against the refractometer, mark it for aprox reference, and replace soon!