How often should I calibrate a refractometer

Orcrone

Lately I find I need to calibrate my refractometer every time I use it. Is this normal, or is it time for a new one? Any suggestions for a replacement if needed?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I also calibrate mine before every use, it's off from time to time.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I checked mine everytime also. The good news is I also have never needed to adjust it after the first time.

r2d2

Mmmmm... I didnt knew you have to recalibrate it every time you use it... Mine was calibrated about 2 years ago.

Goober35

I check mine ever day. A refractometer is like a rifle scope the cheaper they are the cheaper the parts are inside and the easier they are to get out of whack.

Orcrone

I check mine ever day. A refractometer is like a rifle scope the cheaper they are the cheaper the parts are inside and the easier they are to get out of whack.

Good analogy. So having to calibrate each day does not mean it's broken, just means it needs more attention. Thanks....

Goober35

if you're having that much of a problem i would check to see if it is calibrated then check your SG and then check to see if it is still calibrated.

Orcrone

if you're having that much of a problem i would check to see if it is calibrated then check your SG and then check to see if it is still calibrated.

Not sure what you mean by whether it's calibrated. When I check it using my cal fluid I recalibrate using the screw on top, but then need to readjust pretty much every time I use it.

Goober35

NO what i am saying it you make sure it is calibrated then test your water then make sure it is calibrated again. This way you know if the refractometer did not change as you tested your water. And if it did you know your test is invalid.

steved13

PREMIUM
My eyes are to old, I use a digital refractometer, I checked it daily at first, now more weekly, It's never been off since the first calibration when new.

steved13

PREMIUM
+1 on the cal, test, cal. If it's holding it's cal after the test you know it's accurate. If you cal it to 0, then test water, then check the cal and it's not still 0, it's time for a new refractometer.