How much Selcon?

spiraling

Hey there,

Recently I got some Selcon as I see a lot of people here use it. The instructions about dosing are quite vague (if your water is cloudy, you are using too much)

My fish are healthy and I feed two cubes a day of frozen between all the tanks, how much selcon should I add? Are there other preferred foods with it?

Oxylebius

@spiraling

I add enough selcon to moisten dried algae, the algae absorbs all of it without any excess. I usually use about 1/3 to 1/2 of the eye dropper full of selcon. I also allow all the liquid to be absorbed before adding the food to the tank.

It can make the tank water a little cloudy for a few minutes before it dissipates. It also messes with my protein skimmer, limits the foam created, but again after a little time it goes back to normal. No major issues. I don't turn the skimmer off or mess with it. It works itself out.

Keep in mind that the fats and proteins in selcon will also be eaten by small polyp corals as well.

DaveK

... My fish are healthy and I feed two cubes a day of frozen between all the tanks, how much selcon should I add? ...

That's the key isn't it. You really don't need to use Selcon at all. However, it's not going to hurt. This is the type of product where you start off with small amounts and increase it little by little. You really don't need much.

Keep in mind your looking for improvement in your livestock. You are not looking to see how much Selcon you can use. Don't think that more is always better.

Oxylebius

That's the key isn't it. You really don't need to use Selcon at all. However, it's not going to hurt. This is the type of product where you start off with small amounts and increase it little by little. You really don't need much.

Keep in mind your looking for improvement in your livestock. You are not looking to see how much Selcon you can use. Don't think that more is always better.

Dave makes a good point here. If you are using freeze dried food, using liquid vitamins works well to moisten the food for consumption. If you are using frozen foods, I'd skip using liquid vitamins like selcon.

I have on occasion used liquid vitamins like selcon in QT tanks in which I had fish that wouldn't eat. There are some articles that say if the vitamins are in the water some small percentage can be adsorbed through skin and gills. It can also entice fish to eat if you have a new fish in QT who is not eating. Especially if selcon is used on freeze dried brine shrimp.