How many Wrasses?

Gumby

I currently have a six line wrasse in my tank and I am thinking about what the LFS calls a Christmas Wrasse (they say its reef safe) as an adder.

All my tank info in in my signature.

Is it possible to do it?

thanks,
Gumby

blue_eyes53813

How does your six line act towards other new additions.? I have had a few six lines in the past.. The last one I had was a terror.. he would kill all other wrasses that was added to the tank... It depends on the wrasse you have. Some are pretty mild mannered.... This same six line was added with a different wrasse at the same time and he never bothered it... It could go either way. sorry Im not more of a help..

Gumby

He was the last fish added so far and really after being terrorized by the big clown, damsel and angel for 1 week, he was fine and went his own merrry way.

jski711

Its a hit or miss with the 6 line in their. I had a 4 line that went nuts after a few months and then he had to go. Good luck but I think you got a 50-50 chance. Hth.

Jake

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Is the Six line a full grown adult ? What size will the Christmas Wrasse be ? Do you have a latin name for this fish ? There's more than one wrasse that goes by this common name.

Is it the Halichoeres ornatissimus ?

Christmas Wrasse

Gumby

I have had the 6line for almost a year, so I would believe that it is full grown.

I will try to get a pic of it in the next couple of days if I can get to the LFS, but the pic looks about right.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
If the 6 line is an adult I would suspect there will be some initial aggression. I would make sure that the new Wrasse is bigger and in real good condition to withstand the harassment.

Gumby

As it stands, this will more than likely be my last fish added.

I am looking at the wrasse or 3 cardinals (or 3 schooling fish with a relatively low bio load) or 1 of somethign else.

I love tangs, but they grow very fast in my tank and run out of swimming space (my opinion).

So I am looking for a fish(s) that has lots of color that likes to swim and will not eat my corals.

cbrownfish

These 2 Wrasse in a 75 is a bad idea IMO.....they are likely to fight to the death. As a general rule, fish of similar types and shapes need to be alone unless you have a huge system (Tangs, wrasse, female clowns, etc). Some exceptions and some have good fortune. Sometimes a fairy Wrasse will coexist with a 6 line, as they have different territories.

prow

if the sixline was not an established adult i would go for it just make sure the new wrasse is bigger. but at this point with your other fish and an adult wrasse its taking a chance the new wrasse might die or always hide. but it could work out, odds are not in your favor but not enough against it to say its undoable or unadvised. its just a little risky. some good planning should help out some. after QTing for a good month(45days is better) acclimate him to the DT for a few hours then add him well after lights out. i would also redo your rock work as much as possible just before adding the new guy. this should give you a fairly good chance of things working out well. good luck with whatever you decide...

Gumby

I will choose another fish as the thought of a fight is not going to work in my tank.

And so the search for a final fish goes on.

cbrownfish

Now you have me wanting a Solarensis (Clown Fairy) Wrasse again. I have a 6 Line but have heard that the 2 will be ok together. :) Hmmmmmmmmmm........