How many fish for a 33 gallon tank?

Esy_777

Hey, my dad was wondering how many salt water fish he should put in his 33 gallon tank? We're getting the tank up and running later in the week, thanks :)

ReefLady

Staff member
Esy_777,

First, welcome! And welcome to the world of SW tanks.

There are a few different answers to your question, but I'll try to keep it as simple as possible.

First answer - none. Not for a while, anyway. You don't want to add any fish until the tank has completed the ammonia cycle (ammonia --> nitrite --> nitrate --- nothing). Usually, the cycle is started by adding some sort of dieing /decaying matter, such as uncured live rock, a raw grocery store shrimp, etc.

Once the tank has cycled, you want to add one, possibly 2 small fish at a time. And then, wait at least 2-3 weeks before another fish addition.

As far as "total" (eventual) fish go, a lot depends on the type of filtration, the type of fish, and the type of tank (fish only, reef, etc.). The usual *guideline* is one inch of fully grown fish (not counting the tail) for every 5g of water.

So .... in a 33g tank, you could have approximately 7 inches of fish max, or 3-4 small fish.

Hope this helps!

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well you can put as many fish as you want in the 33 gallon tank but to have any live and be healthy then I would go with 3-4 fish(1-medium-3 small) to have them survive and be healthy!:)

Spooda420

first, welcome.

second, listen to Teri and all will go well.

third, by several books and read, research and ask questions.

fourth, read more and set up a fallow tank for several weeks (3-5) only add LR, LS, and saltwater.

fifth, read and ask questions. If you start today, right this second you'll have about 3-5 weeks before you can add fish, but week 2-4 depending on tests and water quality you can add you inverts

visit this site: wetwebmedia.com

good luck

deanerk

Welcome to the Sanctuary!

Just wanted to mention that often keeping fewer fish can be more rewarding. I have only 2 fish, a false percula and a royal gramma, in my 37 gal tank and one damsel in my 10 gal sump/refugium tank. I've learned in my smaller tank that having fewer tankmates encourages the fish to come out of hiding and cruise the tank and be more visible. When I got my royal gramma he hid most of the time because the damsel was in my display tank and he intimidated him a bit. Since I moved the damsel to the sump my gramma is always out. He's one fish you don't want hiding. His colors are beautiful.

So, I guess my point is that with more fish in a small tank you're more likely to have some conflicts of behaviors and nervous tension in the tank as territories are established. Research as much as you can and ask questions here about experiences and you'll find a lot of helpful information.