how long should i quarantine?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Minimum of 4 weeks and make sure the fish is eating well and active before adding to the display.

prow

i thrid the very minimum being 4weeks. but personally i always do at least 45 days.

BoomerD

Theoretically, you should quarantine EVERYTHING that goes in your tank, but corals usually just get a "theraputic dip" to (hopefully) kill any unwanted critters. The fairly recent outbreak of acro-eating flatworms has really brought the subject of coral quarantine to the attention of many reefers, as dipping doesn't seem to affect them much.

prow

i QT my corals but only for about a week or so. its more to prevent unwanted hitch hickers than anything else. if i see unwanted things i treat accordingly. i do, do a quick dip before they go into QT.

mps9506

FWIW I always have given zooanthids FW bath's before introducing into the tank. I've never quarantined acro's simply because I had no means of quarantining before adding to the tank, in addition if I quarantined for a month or three months, flatworms and red bugs would get introduced unless I treated the quarantine tank, and doing that is pretty tough for every coral that comes through (not to mention expensive).

BoomerD

A lot of people use Lugol's for a dip, as well as Hydroplex and a plethora of other chemical solutions. Fresh water works well for some things, (pH and temp matched please) but doesn't do anything for some of the nasties out there. Recently (well, sort of recently anyway) there has been an outbreak of Acro Eating Flat Worms (AEFW) and not much has stopped them. One of the local club members got his documentation of treating them made into a RC Thread of the Month a while back. He did a good job with it, but to this day, he still fights them with little or no end in sight.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=756327