How long do YOU mix salt?

nigle

Oi!

I know that you are not suppose to mix salt and dump it into the tank at once but let it mix for a day, but how long have you allowed salt water mix bubble, 2 days, 1 week, 5 months?

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

wooddood

the wood dude
:eek: well i have a 5 gallon bucket that is marked at the 4 gallon level, i use io salt so 2 cups to 4 gallons, stir it real good and add it to the tank. making sure the temps the same as the tank water. i guess i should add that i have a trash can of ro/di water on hand for the mix. it has worked for me:D

dave.:p

BoomerD

I keep a 55 gallon poly barrel full of pre-mixed sal in my garage all the time...When it gets below half full, I re-fill it. Everything tests o.k., or as o.k. as it's going to with IO salt...:D
I supplement the calcium & alkalinity periodically but that's the only things that ever seem to be low...

addict

I normally mix overnight with a powerhead and an airstone... so maybe 12-18 hours tops... figure it's better safe than sorry.

Gina

RS STAFF
We mix our salt with RO/DI water and let mix for 24 hours with a power head and heater.

Craig Manoukian

I mix a slurry 5:1 of salt mix, that's a 25 gallon bag in a 5 gallon bucket of HOT water. I store the slurry at room temp.

When I do a water change I draw 4.5 gallons of water close to tank temp, within 1 or 2 degrees. I stir the slurry real well until the salt is "in solution" and then add to the 5 gallon bucket of water until I get the desired specific gravity, measuring with a refractometer. I then add the water to the sump. I never change much more than 5 gallons of water at a time.

strat

hey craig, doesnt the calcium precipitate (i think thats the term) being too highly concentrated?? just wondering

thanks

strat

ReefLady

Staff member
25 g rubbermaid bucket makes 20g water change water.

11c salt .. heater & PH for about 24 hours ... maybe a couple weeks, all depends.

Done every.... ummmm ... 3 months or thereabouts...

strat

cool
i dunno where i recently read that you must add salt to water and not vice versa for that reason, must be different tho..

strat

Craig Manoukian

I add salt to water and it creates the slurry. The CA is diluted to the right proportion as you add the slurry and dilute it in the 5 gallon bucket. The CA stays in solution.

Cougra

I mix my water anywhere from 24 hours to 1 week ahead of time depending on when I make up the water for the tank. I don't like being without pre-mixed water just in case something happens.

EdgeKrusher

I mix 2.5 gallons 24 hours in advance with a powerhead, airstone, and 25 watt heater. It's worked for me.

Craig,
Could you explain why you use the slurry method? What are the benefits to doing it that way?

Alf

I Have 44 gal Kalk con't, a 32 gal for plain ro/di water and a 44 gal salt bucket.
I never use freshly mixed salt water before curculating for 5 days. It is what is recommended by the old timers.