how long do you guys wait for your silicone to cure

I need gills

Has been struck by the ban stick
how long does everyone on here wait. iv waited 72 hours in the past but I'm getting impatient. i silicone my hob refuge and cant tell. its been 37 hours and it smells like a pool toy not vinegar anymore. should i wait til that smell goes away or is that how its supposed to smell.

I need gills

im no weirdo i just remember the smell from when i was little and had rubber pools, not that someone from Canada would ever have use for outdoor pools . so i guess im saying it smells like rubber

DaveK

More to the point, what kind of materials are you trying to join with the silicone?

Silicone works good with glass, but usually doesn't work ad well with plastic. If your using plastic baffles inside a glass tank, your usually ok, because these are seals that do not need to be 100% water tight. However, if your using silicone to construct a refugium out of a plastic like acrylic it's very easy for he seams to come apart.

I need gills

It's plastic but there wont be pressure u can see the fuge in one of my threads called flaw in refuge design

sk8rdn

I use very thin coats and I let my silicone dry overnight. If I needed a thicker layer, I'd let it cure 24 hours. If its a tank reseal with very think globs in the corners, I wait till next weekend to wet it...

...."Fish" Happens!....

Most silicone is 'dry' in about 24 hours, however it may take seven days + to fully 'cure'. Most silicones will continue to cure after submersion, following the initial 24 hours. I have had trouble in the past, with silicone yellowing when I get impatient and get it wet right away. I now wait at least 7 days and have not since had problems with discoloring.

On another note, be vigilant and keep close eye on the seems. As Dave mentioned, a plastic box held by silocone at the seams will likely fail at some point. Maybe next week, or perhaps next year, but in time water will make its way out.

Good luck :)

I need gills

Silicone does not adhere to/over silicone.
its not over old silicone just needed a baffle in my aquaclear to make it a fuge. even a slight hole through baffle wouldnt matter just as long as it doest stir up the sand

dmatt88

I add water in 48 hrs. Haven't lost a fish in days.

........I have nothing intelligent left to say.

lcstorc

As long as you possibly can. Woodstock waited 48 hrs and lost much of her tank when she built a new sump. I'm pretty paranoid so I would wait a week or so if at all possible.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Maybe some members can advise...

if your asking Doogle, your replying to a post from 05-21-2012, 08:05 AM so he may not see it.