How long can a cycled tank sit ?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hmmm that's a tough question. It really depends on the tank, what you're feeding, how much etc. If the tank is "just" cycling and you're just feeding the cycle it can sit a little while but eventually you'll get issues because other things needs to happen in the tank (ie sand turn over etc). I'd say you could let one sit idle (heated, water circulation, fed sparingly) for several weeks but in time you'll see issues arise from lack of attention. I add a CUC shortly after I add livestock so that the "Clean Up" doesn't get out of hand before the Clean Up Crew gets on the job.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'd agree with Al that you couldn't go for too long but stirring the sand and possibly water changes chould buy you a couple of extra weeks. Grabbing a few snails/crabs from your LFS would help out.

steved13

PREMIUM
IMO it could vary tremendously on to many factors, what's in the tank, how did you cycle, what do you mean by sit, water flow, etc.

Might be a better way to go if you tell us what you need to do and why, and then better advice might be available.

jpsika08

Also, have you been testing your water through this period?
If so, have you seen an increment on Ammonia or Nitrite?