How does everyone do their water changes?

screemer

I need to do my first water change next week and wondering the best way of doing it. I need to do approx 15 litres of salt water for my 130D. I was planning on running of the RO water on the saturday into an empty clean bucket, putting a heater in it, with the salt and then adding the water on Sunday?? What do you think?

soily

I use a brew bin on a beer fermentation mat. I draw off the RO water into the bin leave it on the mat to warm add the salt ( Approx 333g per 10 litres is a good start ) pop in a power head and leave it all overnight.

Next day check it and do any fine tuning to get your desired salinity ( leave a few hours if you add anything ). Syphon off the old water from your tank into another brew bin, swill any media in the old water then i use the power head to gently pump the new water into the tank via a pipe.

The brew bins work well as they are food grade and have volume markings on the side. The fermentation mat is really accurate for temperature and warms the water perfectly.

magnum

I use a 5 gal bucket put my red sea skimmer pump (that was removed during an upgrade to the Tunze 9002) or any power head you may have, an air stone and a heater in the bucket. I add 2 1/2 cups of red sea coral pro salt and let it run for a couple days. I check to get to 1.025 readings. shut off the pumps on the tank (bottom 2 switches) then I siphon out the 5 gals from the tank, I keep both buckets next to each other so you can take out exactly what you plan to put back. To refill the tank I use a small bucket and add the water to the surfaces skimmer so the water enters the back of chambers first, one it does not stir up the tank and two it forces the air out of the pumps. Hope it helps

Stody0

I use a brew bin also, fill with RO water and salt, then heat it about an hour or so before I use it. The water has been circulated for a few days before so the salt is well mixed, I mix a fresh when I do a water change and then just heat it when needed.

Take out about 10% of water a week, i then add the fresh over a period of time, syphoning it from a jug to the tank using an airline so as to add it slowly.

Works for me

Regards

Al

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The article mainly states that an airstone isn't sufficient to use as a mixing tool - a pump is better. It also states that "if the pH of the finished product is significantly below 8.3, then aeration should increase the pH by blowing off excess CO2.", so there are also instances where an airstone or aeration is good to have when mixing salt. It depends on the pH and the cause of the high or low pH.

David Shaw

I pick up the R/O saltwater from the LFS on a Thursday then that evening or the friday morning i put the 2 gerry cans to one side and heat them until it comes to temp.

Then i syphon 50% of the water out, syphoning the gravel also. Then i do a full maintenance routine. Scrub the glass, rinse the media etc.

Then i slowly add the new water back into the tank using a bucket.

2 hours to warm the water through and then 45 minutes to do the actual water change and general tank clean. I have it down to a fine art now with minimal wet socks :)

dmyers557

I don't think that heating up the water is necessary, at least I never do. I just throw in a powerhead (stock RSM skimmer pump), 5 gallons RO/DI water and 2 and 1/2 cups of salt. Salinity should be very close to what you want. Then I get a turkey baster and blow off my rocks to release the detrius. Then I use a gravity hose kit thingy and suck out 5 gallons from the tank. Then I just pour in the new salt mix stright from the top. I also clean off my ceramic rings every month.

I have a plastic food grade water container with a screw cap, I marked a line around it at 15 litres. I fill with RO to line add 600g salt mix and shake. Overnight I leave with a heater and an airstone in at temp it is 1.025 sg.

No mess and can still lift (just) and pour gently into tank no grief from my better half !!

Best wishes

Paul

yycguy

The article mainly states that an airstone isn't sufficient to use as a mixing tool - a pump is better. It also states that "if the pH of the finished product is significantly below 8.3, then aeration should increase the pH by blowing off excess CO2.", so there are also instances where an airstone or aeration is good to have when mixing salt. It depends on the pH and the cause of the high or low pH.

That's where the RSM simmer pump makes its debut....lol

reefjeff

i m using the rsm skimmer pump too, 20 liters of fresh water + 700grs of salt, leave it overweek with the powerhead on, and then use it in the DT
peace
jeff

imaccat

I use a heater and the stock RSM pump (replaced with a Newjet for the Chiller), and I am awaiting delivery of a 30m tube so I can pump direct from the container (50 lts) in the garage where I make the RO and mix in the salt to the DT.

fruit bat

I pre mix my salt and water in a 25 litre barrel and let is settle for at least 24 hours before i use it to ensure it has stabilised. (both salinity and PH)

After syphoning out the waste water from the tank i remove and rinse the filters in it before throwing it down the drain.

Then i bring a bucket full of new water into the house and raise its temperature by nearly boiling a couple of litres of it and then add it back to the bucket, this is then transferred to the tank with a half litre jug

SecretAgent

I never heat my water, never let it sit, never use power heads, just mix with my hands. The longest it sits is however long it takes for a 2g bucket to fill up using airline tubing running from tank to out on the back deck. I mix 6 5g buckets for my 30% water change and sit next to the tank and go through them one by one. Never have done it any other way....Works for my tanks