How do you know if a plate coral is dead/dying?

Lee

I have this bright neon orange plate coral that usually opens up everyday; by opens up, I mean these small polyps extend out. It hasn't done this in over a week; it just stays closed up. The color hasn't changed at all; its still bright orange with full color.

How can you tell if a plate coral is sick or dying?

Before you ask, water parameters haven't changed; I've been monitoring them.
-3ppm nitrate
-0ppm nitrite
-0ppm ammonia
-1.024 salinity

I'll post pictures later this afternoon when my lights come on

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
LEe it could just be "pouting" or "chilling". I'd say as long as the color is good and it's not "spewing" anything nasty I'd just let it be.

I have this bright neon orange plate coral that usually opens up everyday; by opens up, I mean these small polyps extend out. It hasn't done this in over a week; it just stays closed up. The color hasn't changed at all; its still bright orange with full color.

How can you tell if a plate coral is sick or dying?

Before you ask, water parameters haven't changed; I've been monitoring them.
-3ppm nitrate
-0ppm nitrite
-0ppm ammonia
-1.024 salinity

I'll post pictures later this afternoon when my lights come on

Lee

LEe it could just be "pouting" or "chilling". I'd say as long as the color is good and it's not "spewing" anything nasty I'd just let it be.

Ok thanks, its definitely not doing any of those things, and the color is still perfect.

michael_cb_125

I agree with the Bigman.

If you start seeing any tissue recession or bleaching, then you should take action. Im sure he is just fine.
~Michael

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
How long have you had it?

How long has it been "pouting"?

Have you changed lights or flow in any way?

Recent water change?

michael_cb_125

IME Plate corals do NOT like high flow, and do not respond well to debris. That is, if any sand or rubble gets onto them, they tend to get upset. The key is to have enough current to "sweep" them clean, but not some much that it disturbs them. Also, under brighter lighting they will not expand nearly as large. When I had mine under 14K 150w MHs is would swell to 1.5" thick, and its tentacles would always emerge. But once it was moved to my 100 gallon with 250w MHs and T5s, it usually stayed closed, except at night.

Maybe try seeing if it is opening after everyone else is in bed.
~Michael

Lee

How long have you had it?

4-5 months

How long has it been "pouting"?

1-2 weeks (I THINK I might have seen polyps open this morning before lights came on)

Have you changed lights or flow in any way?

no/no

Recent water change?

20 gallons every friday, like clockwork

Lee

IME Plate corals do NOT like high flow, and do not respond well to debris. That is, if any sand or rubble gets onto them, they tend to get upset. The key is to have enough current to "sweep" them clean, but not some much that it disturbs them. Also, under brighter lighting they will not expand nearly as large. When I had mine under 14K 150w MHs is would swell to 1.5" thick, and its tentacles would always emerge. But once it was moved to my 100 gallon with 250w MHs and T5s, it usually stayed closed, except at night.

Maybe try seeing if it is opening after everyone else is in bed.
~Michael

I've got him about halfway up the tank, off the sand for this purpose. For a few weeks there, he was open all the time. Lights came on, his tentacles came out! About a month ago, I reduced my feeding due to some wicked algae growth... It must be tied to this.