how do you feel about alk in your tank?

how important is alk to you in your reef tank?

• Total voters

reefer4200

Ill be completely honest, i never have any problems with my tank for the most part. When i notice something not looking right ill test my water. But i have done a water change in over 3.5 months and i test last week for fun and everything was near perfect. PH a tad low and alk a tad low...used buffer and we be rolling again. Hope this doesnt bite me in the @$$

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Brandon ... buddy... you really need to spend some time researching this one... it's not just important it's an essential part of the chemical balance on our reef tanks.

Take some time and "Google" this and spend some time in our "Chemistry" forum to learn how it interacts for other aspects of our tanks. The more you know about it early on the better off you are long term.

Good luck :)

brandon

oh i know alkalinity is just as important as calcium, if not more important since it seems to play a part of ph as well. I just wanted to see how important it is to other people in there tanks.

cbrownfish

Calcium, Alkalinity (dKH), Magnesium are the basic parameters you need to maintain in order to have successful reef tank. I don't mean to jab you but this is kind of like asking how important protein is in one's diet. :)

Tonz of fun

Alk is vital, Without it your ph is unstable and your tank could crash. I dont test for Ph I just test for alk. Dont tell anyone. Alk is as important as breathing.

wasupdavey

Most Definately! Alk is so very important to the tank. I stopped testing pH beacuse all I need is my Alk to be in right parameters and then I'll know if it is my pH is "a Okay!" So yes! without Alk my whole tank would look like a giant underwater trashcan ;D

klm2500hd

I test for alk more than anything else. (except pH that is continuously monitored by the controller). If alk is off, then I continue on to the other tests.But if alk is good, then consistently everything else tests good.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
My tank depends on it ! Without testing/dosing when necessary all my SPS, LPS and Clams would be dead :ponder2: