How do u like your backgrounds?

blackwater

so just wondering what other people use as a background to their tanks. i have a black stick on right now. what do u use? paint? stick on? what color do u like most? or do u go with none and let the tank create a natural one. pics are always welcome:clink:

here is mine, its been running for about 3 months, maybe a little less.
2012-08-08194659.jpg

bmplank86

Has been struck by the ban stick
I paint mine on. I've always done a sea blue but this time I might do black to hide the overflow box. Here's my last painted tank:

42f44911-4cd0-ffae.jpg

"No rain, no rainbow"

engineer goby

I have a blue background now it's a hang on. If I could do it all over again I would of painted the back black or dark blue

blackwater

the next tank i do i will paint for sure. i used a stick on for now because im still unsure what color to go with.

blackwater

I went over a year with nothing, just the view of wires hanging

i did the same with my freshwater 65gallon untill the wife made me cover it up.use black stick on but because of all the equipment and stuff at the back i don't clean it, just clean the sides and front. now the black has a coating of green across it lol.
but its not too bad looking it tends to dull the algae green color a bit.

dmatt88

Black paint on 3. Wallpaper on 1. Paint rocks n the paper sucks. Gets water under it. But then after a few years I don't believe any of it matters. The back gets painted pink by little algae elves when ur not looking.

..........tequilla is not my friend anymore

blackwater

Black paint on 3. Wallpaper on 1. Paint rocks n the paper sucks. Gets water under it. But then after a few years I don't believe any of it matters. The back gets painted pink by little algae elves when ur not looking.

..........tequilla is not my friend anymore

that's too funny...and true.

DaveK

Well said, dmat88. Unless you want to do even more cleaning and scrapeing, coraline and other algae will cover the back glass, and give you a fine background. No need to do anything else.

blackwater

Well said, dmat88. Unless you want to do even more cleaning and scrapeing, coraline and other algae will cover the back glass, and give you a fine background. No need to do anything else.

does that take along time? my freshwater tank has been running for 2 years and the algae growth on the back is still fairly light.

blackwater

I think the problem your having with your freshwater tank is you haven't converted it to salt yet :yup:

oh u so hit the nail on the head with that. i have been thinking of doing that and drilling it then using the 29g for a sump. the only thing holding me back is my wife. its really funny u said that because i was thinking of starting a thread about how to convince your spouse to let u convert/add for salt water tanks...lmao

Willie McDaries

I wanted to leave the natural wood showing on mine but I thought the water might could damage it so I painted mine too :D it was blue but it don't matter what color you use,the little varmints that Matt was speaking of will change it anyway LOL

IMG_2795.jpg