Home made fish cubes.

Big Jay

Hard work pays off and this time it pays off big time. I make my own fish cubes and have been asked a million times how I do it. So I thought I would share on how I make my cubes and how much effort it takes.

I usually make a batch that will last me about 4-5 months. I have a 125g with 28 fish in it they are all nano sized fish except the blue tang. I feed 4 times a week with 1 cube. This cube is the same size as your average ice cube you would pull out of your freezer tray. What I put in it is very simple. It costs me about $100-$120. But remember it lasts about 4-5 months.

I buy:
2 16oz packages of PE Mysis
2 4oz packages of Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp
2 4oz packages of Krill
1 bar of cyclop-eeze
1 8oz package of Rod's Food
1 32oz bottle of phytoplankin (I make this myself, easy to culture)
10 raw table shrimp from the Asian market in town.

I take the raw shrimp and cut it up into piece about 1/2"-3/4" and then freeze it after it is frozen I put it into a food processor to chop it up. I do it while frozen because thawed it just turns into paste with some big chunks.

From here I thaw all the contents. All the frozen shrimp and krill gets thawed together in one bowl. I use rodi water to soak the food. I then use a fish net ( I have a big one) to drain the water from the shrimp.

I then mix the shrimp/krill, table shrimp, Rod's food, Cycop-eeze and phyto into a big bowl and mix well. I take my 4 ice cube trays and using a table spoon I scoop a heaping load into the tray. After all the trays are full I use some liquid from the food mix to top off each tray.

I cap the remaining food in the bowl and put it in the fridge. I freeze the Trays and the next day I empty the trays into a ziplock bag. I then use the trays to make more cubes.

Works good and saves me a lot of money and time in the end. It also makes it easy for tank sitters.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I do this as well but i add zoecon and vitality to the cubes......i just mix, rinse in RO and reuse the plastic "trays" they come in. Since I don't have enough fish to eat a full cube, i just keep slicing enough off each time i use it........works out well - you can trust the "water mixture" the food is frozen in from the manufacturer.

richelowen

Has been struck by the ban stick
Big Jay you have done a good job.By these I learn that nothing would be impossible in the world. I implement your information on building fish cubes.Any problem would be there I will conservation on these forum further.Looking to be seem to do a good work.