Hollywood Stunner Chalice Receding

jimv

This frag had been doing well for the last couple of months. After rearranging my tank a week or so ago I have noticed that it is receding. My parameters are all in line:

PH 8
Cal 420
KH 7
Mag 1200
Salt 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0

be3ama2y.jpg

I had it in a hight flow area near the front of the tank. I've moved it to a lower flow, lower light area. Can it recover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower flow is much better for mostly any chalice, as far as light goes I had my stunner fall behind the rocks for months and actually forgotten about it till I pulled it out one day and looked completely fine. They are pretty fast growers and easy to care for if there's parts still alive it'll eventually covers back over the dead parts.

Honestly though I can't tell with the picture, blues make it hard to tell haha

jimv

Thanks! I will in move it to an even lower flow area and see how it does. Every time I move things around something gets upset.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Thanks! I will in move it to an even lower flow area and see how it does. Every time I move things around something gets upset.

Yes corals adjust to their conditions (lighting/flow) moving them often is not a good thing and can lead to stress,I would suggest finding a good spot and leaving them there.

jimv

I don't think it was the change in position that caused the issue. I looked at my tank tonight with the lights off and I had three hermit crabs going to town on it. They are eating the grey and leaving the white skeleton underneath. Do blue leg hermit craps eat coral? I have never had an issue.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Your cleanup crew knows when a coral is on the way out and since hermit crabs are opportunistic eaters they will feed on dying coral just like bristle worms even Nassarius snails.

jimv

I just moved it to my coral qt tank. No crabs in that tank but it does have cerith snails.