hitchhiker???

cindyp

put him in a small clean container with the rock you want him to attach to and he will do it him self in time .they are in the mushroom family and are very difficult to glue b/c they slime themselves right off

ReefLady

Staff member
put him in a small clean container with the rock you want him to attach to and he will do it him self in time

This is what we used to do. Another option is to get some netting-like fabric, loosely cover the shroom/ricordea with it, and tie the fabric at the base of the rock. You can buy tuille (fabric used to make wedding veils). I used to buy those netting-like shower scrubbie things and pull it apart.

You can try using a rubber band also. It takes some practice. Too loose, and it won't work, too tight, and it will cut it. "Just right" and it will attach, and even potentially split into two separate shrooms.

razorvines

Yeah I tried the rubberband trick with my toadstool leather and couldn't find that happy medium. He kept finding a way to slink out of it. So I swithed it to my 10g tank because it has a lower flow and set them on the bottom in the corner on a rock. It only took about 3 days for the leather to attach. That's where I put my bubble ric last night. I hadn't thought about the fabric, that is a good idea...

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
wow that looks alot differant from my freebee I wonder why?

Because they are two completely different genus and species.

Cindy, yours is a Ricordea florida, common name Florida Ricordea and Jasons is a Rhodactis sanctihomae, common name Bubble Mushroom.

cindyp

Because they are two completely different genus and species.

Cindy, yours is a Ricordea florida, common name Florida Ricordea and Jasons is a Rhodactis sanctihomae, common name Bubble Mushroom.[/QUOTE
OOOOH OK! I was wondering what kind it was Thank you!!!!:yup:

chipmunkofdoom2

Again, Yumas are very similar to Floridas, but may be a bit harder to care for and are definitely more sensitive to higher intensity lighting. Yumas tend to be a bit more expensive as well.

I know how you feel about the attaching.. I have had ricordea that refused to attach for weeks. Now I use a much simpler method, I fill a dish with crushed coral or another small shell like substrate like that. Then I put the ricordea in. If you leave them in that container for a while, they will attach to one of the small pieces of shell/crushed coral. This piece will likely be much smaller than they are, but that's an advantage, because that little piece on the bottom will superglue to ANYTHING. Then, all you do is slather some superglue on it's desired home, place the ricordea on top and push gently but firmly down on the ricordea. This will ensure the crushed coral gets attached to the glue.

I really am becoming a fan of Ricordea.

I know how you feel. I have nine now, I'm probably going to be fragging 2 of my larger ones some time this week, and then may be ordering some more! Just about as easy to care for as mushrooms, awesome texture, with some insane colors to boot!

razorvines

I bought a green florida ricordia as well this weekend. It was about the size of a nickel, for 6.99. I superglued it to a rock and it held.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Forgive me, I didn't mean to confuse anyone about the ID here. At this point it's a matter of semantics as the photograph does not give enough detail to ID this particular organism as yuma or florida. My point was to demonstrate that there were two different genus' and species' being represented in this thread. For the record, it could very well be a yuma.

cindyp

well I love it no matter what it is ! it has a little pea size baby next to the quarter size one and they seem to be doing really well I have it positioned in the middle of the tank about 18 inches down I think it likes it there b/c it has better color and is meatier than when I brought him home. its funny I was at my coral guys house buying some shrooms, frogspawn and a daisey coral then I looked into his fuge and saw this recordea I never had one before but have seen them and they are on my list so I said how much you want for that ?he said it came in on some live rock .I said it looks like recordea !then he said you want it its yours WHOOO HOO!!!! do these coral grow fast?I will try to get a better pix today.......

cindyp

no problem here's this mornings pix.
046.jpg

044.jpg

040.jpg

maybe wishful thinkin but I swear its grown :yup:

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Wow! Those blue mushrooms steal the show!

Now back to the ric. :D It definitely looks better. I think it's going to recover nicely. It does look more like a yuma now that I can see the tenticles extending up the oral stalk. Regardless of the species, it's a nice HH!

cindyp

I have no clue The guy I get this stuff from lives near me and is starting his own buisiness he only charges 20.00 for a nice cluster of shrooms so I have gotton about 5 differant ones from him the daisy is softball size for 40.00 heres a pix..
039.jpg

037.jpg

023-1.jpg

006.jpg

050.jpg

I never new having a reef would cause so much picture taking reefing is a gateway drug LOL. oh this guy also sells on the web.whats nice is there not tiny like at the lfs....:tongue:

cindyp

Hey Scott this guy as you can see has a mouth would it help him out if I feed him when I target feed the other corals? around here I feed everything with a mouth lol it has really helped the sun coral.

razorvines

Well what's his website??? I have got to get some of those mushrooms! I really like the daisies too... Hey wait a minute. I don't need his address, just yours!! :yup: