Hitchhiker ID please

Cougra

Today I was at the LFS and noticed a few pieces of some very good quality live rock for a very good price $6.88/lb (CAN) and decided to get a couple small pieces to add to my tank. I know I don't actually NEED any more, but I couldn't pass up the opertunity especially since one piece has a nice bright green mushroom on it. However it's the second piece of live rock that I got that has me wondering...

What are these things on the rock?

DSCF3073.jpg

DSCF3071.jpg

When they are closed they pull the mantel right over top of themselves which is how they must have been in the LFS as I didn't notice them when I picked up the rock, only now that it's been added to the tank.

I fear that they are some type of amenone. I don't have a tank set up for them, I don't intend to set my tank up for them, and most importantly do I not condone the purchase of any sort of anemone. If that's what they are they will be returned to the LFS first thing tomorrow.

BoomerD

I've never seen red or maroon majanos, but that's what they look like. Could they be tiny (baby) RBTA's? Never seen them before either, but anemones DO spawn, and they have to start somewhere...and that's what they look like to me. Any idea where the rock is from? (Indo-pacific, caribbean, etc.)

Cougra

Unfortunately no I don't know where it comes from. They are very tiny and there are a LOT of them on this one piece. Now that they are opening up I see at least 25-30 of them.

DAMN!!!! This isn't good.

hma

this are quite sure manjano anemons, out with those from display as fast as possible.

Cougra

The rocks have been isolated and I"ve already started removing the ones I could. I'll keep them in isolation for the next few weeks and keep peeling off everything I see. I don't want to get rid of the rocks as they are very nice pieces!

On the plus side, they are peeling off the rocks very easily! It doesn't look like they've found any sort of holes to lodge themselves in. I'll also keep turning the rocks and keeping them in a relatively low light/low flow area. Hopefully they wont like their location and come out to try something better so I can see/remove them ASAP.

The good news is that I only have a couple shrooms in the tank and don't really plan on having any other sort of corals in the tank and I only had the rocks for about an hour so it shouldn't have spread that quickly! At least they seem to be easier to deal with the aiptasia so far.

hma

Hi Michelle,

I think you have properly acted. If you have not tried to removes the Manjanos in the display, everything is OK. Manjanos already increase from the smallest fragment

spartacus

I had an outbreak of red majanos and those do not look like them. They look like some kind of baby frilly mushrooms to me. I have mushrooms in my tank that look just like those, just bigger.

hma

Michele, this are definitively Manjanos. I do this hobby now already more than 20 years and know rather exactly what I say. If I was not sure very much, I would say this or be quiet.

... here are " your disc anemones " spartacus!!