HItch Hiker In Real Reef Rock

ChitownRomeo

I like the look of Real Reef rock and I like the fact it's man made. I thought it was free from hitchikers. Boy was I wrong. I got alot of it from Premium Aquatics and it's full of these crabs. Should I pick them all out?

ab6zl.jpg

Surfnut

Judging by the claws I'd say pick them out. As a general rule of thumb, if the tips of the claws are pointed it's not reef safe. If the tips of the claws are spoon shaped they tend to be algae eaters and generally not a nuisance.

Just toss them down into the sump or refugium: They'll do fine down there.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If it's "full of these crabs" :eek: ...I think I'd take it out & dip it in coral RX or fresh water or something if you can still get it out. Most crabs are bad news & can hide where you can't see them :bugout:

ChitownRomeo

If it's "full of these crabs" :eek: ...I think I'd take it out & dip it in coral RX or fresh water or something if you can still get it out. Most crabs are bad news & can hide where you can't see them :bugout:

This was thier response

"It looks like there were a couple of hair crabs that came in on the rock. Keep in mind that while the live rock is man made, it is still put in a saltwater system environment for 4-6 months prior to us getting the rock, so you can have hitchhikers, which in this case is not all super bad with what you received. This is how they seed the rock and get it going."