High Nitrates

Snelly40

sponges from what i have heard have nothing to do with poor water quality, sponges are a good thing

lcstorc

Try phosban for the phosphates. I have had good success with it and my seahorse tank. Also if at all possible get a skimmer. They can do a world of good.
Glad to hear Lenny is doing well. I love my scooter. He was one of my first fish and is really neat to watch "climb" the rocks etc. Tank is looking great. And I agree about the AP tests. I will finish the others I have except the nitrates which have already been trashed, but won't buy them again.
Best of luck and keep up with the waterchanges. It is the best answer even if a PITA.

Thanks Lynn! I'll try the phosban and see if that helps. Lenny's a little champ. I can never get a picture of him when he throws up his fins. He only does it when I watch from the couch. The second I get the camera out he's Mr. Nice Guy again! Lynn...does yours often turn black in the face and fan out his fins??

Frankie

RS STAFF
keep up on the phosban for a while yet. Im guessing its also your live sand causing troubles. I went to the lfs and looked at the live sand there. Dosn't look to good sitting there sealed in a bag with light all over it. I cant see how its still alive anyhow and think this is just another way for "THEM" (the people under the stairs) to make money. I want ot get some of that water and test it. Rinsing the food in ro/di is a major plus.

lcstorc

Yes mine certainly fans out his fins. Have not noticed his face going black though. He is really good at blending into the rocks so it would not suprise me. Mine eats everything and the tank was so new when I got him I doubt there was much live for him to eat. I know I lost several mandarins early on that I attribute to low pod population, but the scooter has been great since the beginning.
Hope you have as good of luck as I have had.