Hey look at this weird thing!

blue_eyes53813

Ok i mentioned this a few months back but could nevet get a good picture.. It was shoved in a hole in the rock and you could only see one rim of this Shell/Thing. I dont know if it came out of the rock on its own or if a hermit or something moved it... What do you think It is?

Attachments

• unknown-shell.jpg
    unknown-shell.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 101

blue_eyes53813

I dont think it has an actual opening.. It seems to be solid.. I dont see a crack in it like it can open..? Maybe it can,, But it is closed very tightly

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
It looks like a rock boring bivalve of some type. It has radiating and concentric rings on the shell-maybe it's a mantis shrimp egg sac!:lol:

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
:LOL: I'm tagging along I don't have the foggiest idea what it is! However, rock boring bivalve is a good guess.

lcstorc

Wow how interresting. Looking forward to the id. I hope it is a good guy. You have had anough problems lately to last you for qaa while.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
It reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live skit with Dan Akroyd and Steve Martin standing around saying, "...what the hell is it?"

reefjitsu

I would agree that it does look like some sort of rock boring bivalve. It also looks kind of like the "shell" of a dead stomatella snail. I would gently prod it with your favorite reefsafe poking instrument, to see if it is firmly attatched to the rock. If it is a clam or something of the sort, you should be able to get it to pull into its hole, squish down closer to the rock, or otherwise move somehow.

burning2nd

bivalve or something along that line is my vote,

it looks like thos things that burrow in the sand on the beach of NC

aquaman3680

It looks to me like a shell of an abalone snail. I know i spelt it wrong but, can you pick it up? if so turn it over...if it is shiny on the bottom then it is an abalone snail.

Matt

blue_eyes53813

Hey all, I will inspect it somemore when the light come on... I believe it is a solid shell.. like a clam.. it would move inside the hole like , it would be situated different in the hole over a period of a couple days.. But it sure didnt move much..