Hey all!!

thajoeman420

Hello,
I guess this is my first official grand apearance. Names Joe, im obviously a reefer. I been at it for over 8 years if u count the 5 years I was tankless. :p but enought of that. atm I have a 90 gallon aga show tank linked to about 140 more gallons of various items in basement. 40 gallon refugium and 2 50 gallon tuff tubs from lowes. I just have a small assortment of corals and polips. I use mangroves and macro algae in a 8 inch sand bed in my refugium. I am a small wholesaler and tank-refugium builder. I have also done some custom hoods and lighting fixtures. I am onto something BIG tho!!!! I am working with several LED lighting companys that build arrays for growing plants. Let me remind you, LED= zero heat!!! perfect calabrated spectrums even down to an exact nanometer!! bulbs last ONEHUNDREDTHOUSAND hours!!!!!less that one TENTH of the power consumption HQ and PC bulbs use, and the thing that really got me hyped about this instead of using metal halides which are EXTREME area lights in which you need to use a superhighly polished reflector to hopefully cast the stray rays of light back down to your corals. Instead of losing 80% of the needed light from rays that never even get close to touching your corals. These LED arrays target specific areas in your tank, floodlight specific corals. I mean in my show tank I have half the tank is rock and half the tank is sand. I am currently using 2 110 watt VHO and 4 55 watt PC in my show tank. So all and all almost half the light that is touching the bottom of my tank is growing dead sand in my tank.... truly.. Well I am currently testing an array I have 1 medium colt coral and 1 large pinkbirdsnest on the LED array and I have 1 medium colt and 1 large pink birdsnest in my show tank with vho and pc. I will soon have some pics up for all to see. If this really interests anyone please email me at thejoeman42@yahoo.com Thanks alot for reading my long post and keep up the GOOD work, your tanks look GREAT!!
Joe.

mps9506

Let us know how it goes.
My main concern with LED lighting is the cost involved with building such an area of lights capable of keeping a highly stocked sps tank.
They seem like a good solution for nano tanks and such, but larger aquariums would require a lot of LEDs to cover the area you needed to cover. And those LED's aren't cheap.

thajoeman420

Hello again,
Well to answer your question. Right now with the bulbs I am using, to compare the saturation with the saturation of a 1000 watt HPS or HQ one would need 50 array bulbsx38 led bulbs per array. Every square inch would be completely saturated. and thats compared to a 1000 watter. BTW it would cost about 8 dollers a month to run 50 array bulbs. :) Now if u compare that to about 1 doller per bulb, theres your comparison :) But as I stated in 80# of most peoples tanks u dont need every stinking square inch of tank just baking in light, hence ALOT less led's, hense alopt cheaper overall. and at 12/12 light the bulbs would last about 8 years...... :) Its is about 79 individual bulbs for every square foot of total saturation. 79 led bulbs is 2 grow array bulbs. Here is a website a person tested this. I am trying different mixtures of bulbs tho. http://www.servangle.net/reef/led/

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
hello and welcome that's an interesting concept how much does 1 grow array blubs cost just wondering

thajoeman420

Things that make you go, Hmmmmm :)
Again I am currently working on making an array. One I think will be exactly what the corals will desire as well as what you or I would desire to properly "light" up the tank so its visibly apealing. Still in process but atm the array bulbs + enough power supplys to use timers to switch arrays on and off in some sort of fixture. bulbs would be sealed in a very profesional manner. Just about 1.10$ per led bulb or about 42 bucks an array. But again I would really like to test this more before I will be doing any kind of sales. Thanks again for your interest :)
Joe.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I was just curious wasn't planning on buying them I'll stick with my electric guzzeling over priced halides vho setup :bluenod: good luck with your trials hope you get it figured out sounds like a good idea