Help!

Nowellsy SNR

Hi guys

Went to replace my new T5's and 2 of the new bulbs blew my hood i could smell smoke now 2 of the connections where the T5's go are totally gone!

What do you think happened dodgy lights?

Oakhouse

Just looking at the wiring diagram, looks like it goes power - relay - ballast - bulb. What happens if you put the old bulbs back in?

Oakhouse

Glad I asked you about putting the old ones back, not the two new ones!

Did they blow when you switched on (i.e. started to light up and then go), or just not come on?

Nowellsy SNR

Yeh they stared to come on then the first time it tripped the power to parts of my house then the second time the lights started to come on then popped at that point i smelt the burning

Oakhouse

Sounds like too much power getting to the bulbs... I'm no electrical engineer but it does sound as if the ballast has gone, unless its a loose wire in the hood, or behind the bulb holders.

Nowellsy SNR

If the ballast has gone would'nt my other lights work Richard?

Thanks for your help, got an electrical engineer coming out tomoz

Oakhouse

They should do.. so you would have 4 or 6 lights working, theres 3 ballasts in the 250 hood. Which two went?

Oakhouse

According to the wiring diagram, that will be ballast #2, the one closed to the timer. Sounds to me as if that's where the fault lies, and the others are ok?

Nowellsy SNR

Yeh others ok thanks for your help Richard, least i can give thr engineer a heads up when he come

Would i need a ballast from Red Sea?

Oakhouse

Wouldn't have thought so, but seen as its still in warranty, you should be able to get a replacement from RS.

Nowellsy SNR

Well some good news

Steve from Red Sea got into touch i must say very quickly and its late over here so great customer service there

Max250

Sorry to hear that Anthony. What a bummer. I'm glad steve got in touch, is he sending you a ballast?

The two middle bulbs blew. That's the same as Zaks.

Out of curiosity Anthony, have you sealed the seam in the hood? I think we are beta testers here with the RSM250.

Your other 4 lights are working ok? That'll be enough to keep your corals alive for the time being.