HELP!

JurisHP

I have been battling brown algae for months now....NOTHING I do gets rid of it. I am wiping down my glass twice a day....I wake up and it needs cleaning and especially at the end of the day when the lights were running, MAJOR algae EVERYWHERE. And this is relatively recent. These are the details of my tank.

180g mixed reef that has been up and running for over 10 years.

Ecotech Radion G5 Blues that run about 11 hours/day on the LPS/Soft Coral template.

Parameters are:

Salinity: 1.026
Temp. 78
pH: 8.0
Ca: 422
P04: .69
dKh: 9.6
Nitrates: Not sure today

I have been battling Nitrates and Phosphates for YEARS...I have tried everything, the latest of which is a refugium where my Chaeto is growing nicely.

In the past 2 weeks, I have changed 25g/day every day, and it seems to be getting worse!

I came home today after wiping down the glass this morning, and there was so much algae on the glass I could barely see into the tank!

I also noticed that red slimy algae is on a lot of my corals, in addition to yellow (sponge?) on a lot of the rocks.

What explains all this algae which is choking out my VERY easy to keep softies and requiring me to clean the glass 2 x/day?

HELP!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
You need to drop those po4 levels. What is your water charge cadence and water source?

DaveK

One important point. Have you tested the nitrate and phosphate levels of your new water? This could be part of the problem especially if your not using RO/DI water.

Chech your feeding. Many people feed way too much.

Do you have a good clean up crew in the system? That can go a long way toward keeping algae down.

Also consider cutting back on your light both in intensity and photo period. It's not always perfect for algae but can help reduce algae.