Help with T5 bulbs

Ratpack

I have a 75g tank with 85% SPS. My lighting is a TEK 6x54. I have blue bulbs in 4 slots, all ATI and for the other two slots, I have choice of two coral plus from ATI or one coral plus and one purple plus. All bulbs are ATI.

Doogle

Coral plus is basically 60% aqua blue special, 30% blue plus, and 10% purple plus . It has a lot of pop on the red/orange colors like a purple bulb.
For max growth a ge6500, it will also make your green and yellows pop more.
It's up to you. Always good to have extra bulbs to play with, every eye is different. I feel like something is missing without a purple bulb. But you can probably get away without a purple bulb using coral pluses.

Last edited:

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
For growth, go whiter colors.. for pretty, purple will do better.

Oh contraire mo frere. :D

U see the article awhile back on the 420 spectrum and coral growth in coral magazine? Can't attest to purple but blue will get the dudes a growing.

..........rarely am I speechless

Ratpack

I actually have all the bulbs on hand. My issue is I have two coral plus and one purple plus, but only two open slots in the fixture. Wondering which two should go in.

Doogle

What MAttD said....blues grow faster than whites. Studies show.

Right , that's why 20k (blue) halides grow slower than 10k (white) halides.
There's a lot more to it than just white and blue.
ATI blue plus are a creature all their own.
T5 bulbs and halides are totally different.

Purple bulbs have a lot of blue and red spectrum in them. Corals around 40-50 feet under water are still getting the red spectrum from the sun. It depends on the coral. Shallow water corals must get a lot of yellow/green and red spectrum with the blue don't you think? Full spectrum is very important. Notice how blue and cool white LEDs suck? They lack the needed red, green, cyan,yellow ( warm white ) spectrums that t5 are great at producing. Even uv light is important , halides are great for that.