Help with new setup

drachen

Well, i inherited a 29g bc with a sump, i really dont have any SW experience so ive spent alot of time reading and researching what i can. So far it only has about 20lbs of rock and 20lbs of sand in the DT, what im wondering is if the sump is designed right or if it actually is doing anything. It is a long 20g that is divided into 3 sections, the overflow comes down into 1st section though a sock filter and then goes into 2nd section with just some sand in it and then goes through some foam into the return pump. I really want to make this tank work and look great and as intended. I only have a clown and some snails and shrimp so far, my water seems ok. I just dont want my livestock so suffer due to my inexperience. My clown just swims up and down once side of the tank like crazy all day. Any help or advice on making my tank work better and just be better overall for me and my livestock would be great! Sorry if im a noob at this! I really am on a pretty tight budget so im trying to make everything work with what i have, but if getting something or changing something would make a major difference im going to try and do it!

smkndrgn142

First of all, welcome to RS! Second, the most important thing you can do right now is go out and buy your self some test kits. It doesn't sound like you've got any corals so something like the red sea marine lab should cover you. You'll want better kits if you get into corals, but for a fish only tank this should be fine. You really want to know what's going on in your tank, not just guess at it.
It sounds like like the sump is set up properly. you could add some more live rock to the area with the sand. Also you'll want to clean the foam when you do your water changes...just rinse it out in the water you remove from your tank...squeeze it a few time till you get all the gunk out. You'll want to change about 10% a week. Also, add another 10 lbs of live rock to your tank, this can be in the main tank or the sump, or split between both.
Oh yeah, keep researching and reading and asking questions!
Good luck with your tank!
Post some pics when you can.

drachen

Hey thanks for the quick reply, I do have some test strips and other things he gave me with the tank. I just hate how judging the colors on the things can be really iffy, but seems like all the readings seem around the 'appropriate' areas. I will get some more rock since my tank does seem kinda empty and my clown just swims circles around my powerhead. So if i get fresh live rock from the the lfs i can put it in without causing some kind of trauma and killing things? Also the box o' crap he gave me also has a huge protein skimmer, but not sure if i should actually use it or not. :)

crespeto

+1^, go slow. If your having trouble with measuring things, then you might want to try bringing a water sample to local fish store (LFS), most will do a water test for free. At the very least you can verify what you think your reading, till you get better at it.

The live rock that smkndrgn142 suggested is probably a good idea. The rock is a good place for the good bacteria that helps with the major chemical cycle for the tank to grow. So usually suggested to have like 1-2lbs rock for each gallon of water in the display.

When you do your tests you looking for little or no ammonia, and little or no nitrite, these are the most harmful, and are what are controlled mostly by algae and the bacteria in the sand and rock. Those give off nitrate which in higher levels can hurt things but is less harmful then the ammonia or nitrite. The suggested 10%-15% water changes every week or 2 should help keep the nitrate down low. Most of what i have heard is you don't want to mess with the sand bed to much or move things around alot, so really your just trying to take out a percentage of water with hopefully just nitrate in it, and replace it with clean water to reduce the amount diluted in the whole tank. Having some sort of macro algae in the sump area is usually a pretty good idea, as the macro algae will absorb harmful chemicals to grow, and give off oxygen. When you prune it you are removing the bad chemicals with what you prune.

Other then that, you might want to look over the new build or my tank areas and read up how everyone else got started and what they did. And for sure ask questions most everyone is very happy to help or at least point in you in the right place to research what you need.

Good luck.

smkndrgn142

Stay away from the test strips, they are horribly inaccurate. They are good to tell you if things are horribly out of whack, but other than that, they are a waste of money.

drachen

Sweet thanks for all the help guys, so if i buy some new LR can i just put it in the tank without any huge shock to the system?

JandR

+1 ^^ Depending on what you get and where you get it from when you put it in you could a small "die off" which usually on that size of rock it shouldnt be much. But can cause a small cycle in a smaller system but for the most part you should be fine just keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrites after you put it in. :fingerx: What type of skimmer do you have?

Oh yeah WELCOME TO RS!!!! :wave:

crespeto

+1^ rock might cause a mini die off. If your just picking up couple rocks from LFS then you will probably be fine. As suggested you should test regular though just in case. Good luck, and welcome.

drachen

Now i seem to have some kind of yellow/tan dust looking algae on some of my substrate and im wondering if it is good/bad and what i should do to take care of it.

IMAG0056.jpg

drachen

Oh and JandR im not sure what kind of skimmer he gave to me with it, i dont have it setup because im not 100% on how to set it up and get it going haha. Plus it seems HUGE to be putting in my sump haha.

drachen

So the brownish algae is ok ? should i do anything to clean it up ? seems to be kinda starting to creep up the tank.

drachen

So the brownish algae is ok ? should i do anything to clean it up ? seems to be kinda starting to creep up the tank.

crespeto

yeah, brownish algae is okay. It is pretty standard to have it happen during the cycle period. From what I have read basically the algae is faster growing then the bacteria, so when you have a bunch of nitrates in the water it helps the algae grow which absorbs it. the water changes help reduce some of this and over time the bacteria will continue to grow and take the place of the algae. Now you may want to add some snails and/or crabs the clean up crew (CUC). They will eat the algae. Now from what I understand most of the time seems like people wait for the cycle to be over, (0 ammonia and 0 nitrite and some nitrate and reduces when you do a water change. Do a 20% water change, then add a fish or 2. Then add CUC, then after a few weeks to let them all settle in and your still measuring 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite and little nitrate, and you have the proper lighting you can add some coral. If you aren't ready to add any fish yet, then best way to avoid the algae growth is to not light the tank. cover it even, less light the less the algae will grow.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well, i inherited a 29g bc with a sump, i really dont have any SW experience so ive spent alot of time reading and researching what i can. So far it only has about 20lbs of rock and 20lbs of sand in the DT, what im wondering is if the sump is designed right or if it actually is doing anything. It is a long 20g that is divided into 3 sections, the overflow comes down into 1st section though a sock filter and then goes into 2nd section with just some sand in it and then goes through some foam into the return pump. I really want to make this tank work and look great and as intended. I only have a clown and some snails and shrimp so far, my water seems ok. I just dont want my livestock so suffer due to my inexperience. My clown just swims up and down once side of the tank like crazy all day. Any help or advice on making my tank work better and just be better overall for me and my livestock would be great! Sorry if im a noob at this! I really am on a pretty tight budget so im trying to make everything work with what i have, but if getting something or changing something would make a major difference im going to try and do it!

Patience, young reefer........ Buy a good test kit first. Avoid the test strips they give results all over the place. You may consider adding more live rock and sand as well.

When did you set this up?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick

Just read through the posts! Seems I duplicated some info, sorry. As to the algae. The brown algae is perfectly normal and will become hair algae in no time at all.

Now to stress the two most important things I have learned. First is take it slow. With everything. Secondly is ANY changes you make to the tank need to be very small changes. DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT add a bunch of stuff and/or clean up a bunch of equipment all at once. Little bitty changes will have little impact on your levels! Keep the testing up! Love the progress.

drachen

I have 1 clown in there and 4 snails and a scarlet shrimp already, trust me im taking it slow. I just want to make sure i don't do something wrong, since people say one thing goes wrong and everything can just goto crap and everything get sick suffer or die and i don't want that. Since im on a budget i might just get some LR rubble to put in my sump and some more CUC like snails or some hermits. If i put some LR in my sump do i need to put a light down there with it?

crespeto

Only reason to put light down there is if you are adding macro algae, like cheato or something. I don't think the bacteria that you want to grow in the rock for the nitrogen cycle needs light, just oxygen rich water flowing over/around it. Sounds like your doing fine, good luck.