Help with Lionfish

Cisco Kid

I recently bought a Volitan Lionfish. The first day I didn't feed it because of acclamation so was late till it was released in the tank. The second day fed it a rosy and he gobbled that up. The third day it ate 2 rosy's. My problem is , now it hasn't ate anything in three days and I'm getting concerned. It looks the food over ( and yes it is live ) but doesn't eat. Any ideas to try would be appreciated to get it eating again.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I've never kept a lionfish but here's some great info on their dietary needs:

Aquarists frequently underestimate the importance of doing this, so we continue to have problems with long term vitality, if not survival, of species kept on unnatural diets. In the case of mail-cheeked fishes, any old meat will not simply "do." Much like humans, just because a fish eats certain foods doesn't mean those foods are necessarily good for them! This sad reality plays out time and again with the Lionfish sub-family and their kin. Many, many Lionfishes meet their death from a categorically inappropriate diet of “feeder” freshwater goldfish or the like, which are expensive, hard to digest, cause for “fatty degeneration” of internal organs, are inconvenient… and, in a word, are “bad” for them. Don’t fall into the trap that your predators “need” feeder goldfish (where would they get these in the wild?) or cannot be trained to take killed prey and prepared foods. Pterois lionfishes and many of their relatives can be trained to even take dried carnivore food sticks or pellets! Make no mistake that neither these nor any such predator specializes in wasting energy to catch the fastest and hardest to capture prey. Please! They seek the young, slow, weak, dying, or otherwise unaware specimens. In captivity, however, most will adapt to killed or prepared foods (mostly thawed frozen meats of marine origin).

Above all, freshwater prey items are nutritionally deficient and will lead to the death of your marine predator in time. Merchants and aquarists alike that have let their predatory fishes "train" them into thinking freshwater feeder fishes were good, necessary, or all that would be accepted need not wonder anymore why, after a year or two, the predators begin to suffer strange ailments. These ailments include symptoms like renal/vision failure ("they sense the food in the water, but seem like they cannot see it clearly…snapping short and missing?") , or they appear to be unable to swallow the old familiar prey as if they have a "lump" in their throat (goiter, swollen thyroid). Chalk it up to dietary deficiencies or inadequacies (like thiamin deficiency induced by a staple of feeder goldfish) taking its toll over time. You should be determined to offer a wide variety of thawed fresh-frozen meats, dry, or otherwise prepared foods when possible and gut-loaded live prey if absolutely necessary. Identify if your species favors arthropods (shrimp, crabs, and the like) or fishes, and adjust the given diet accordingly.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i2/lionfish/keeping_lionfishes.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/lions&rels2.htm

Witfull

right now he probably full. yes he will look at food, but think " i cant eat another bite". i have an antenatta lion, for the first week he didnt eat. ye would watch krill float by, interested but woundnt attempt to eat. into the second week while feeding the tank, he eyeballed a krill and agressively swam to it,,,targeted,,,,and gulp~ he ate 2 more that night. he now averages 2-4 krill every other day or so. some days he wont leave his cave or the perch in front of it. but when hes hungry he will come right out and get his share, he will even hand feed~

i also agree with no fresh water fish as food. its an alien foodsource.

bigboy

I'm new here but would like to help,I have a few lions of my own,2 violas 1 dark,1 light,also have 3 dwarfs-2 fuzzys & 1 zebra dwarfs,1 fu-man-chu as wellas 1 radiata. I feed all my fish the same things ghost shrimp that have been fed high quality fish food to increase the quality for the lions,as well as demsils on occassion.Also as a treat for my big 2 I give themshrimp from the grocery store (mediums is the size mine like ) I would stay away from the the feeder fish because they can cause a build up of fat around the liver