Help with Lionfish please...

paris

Hey!! I'm new to the forum so wanted to pop my head around the door!
I'm in the process of purchasing a juvenile Volatin Lionfish which will be about 4" long.
I've tried to do as much research as possible. I know that they can be volatile and they can't be kept with any fish or encrustation's the same size or smaller.
I know they can grow upto 15" in length so am thinking of buying a 100ltr tank for the first year then upgrading to a 200ltr? And think I'm okay with the foods like a varied diet and gut loaded ghost shrimp etc and from what i've read they feed at night 3 times a week roughly?
My questions are for general advice for a beginner?
I'm also looking for any information from experienced people on the best tank mates?
Finally I have heard lots of people talking about QT tanks????? Any advice?
THANK YOU!!!!! :D

castiel

Welcome!!

but with a qt thank you'll be able to get your fish feeding and checked for any diseases such as ich and be able to treat it easier.

also why go with a big lion? why not a dwarf they look the same and can live in a smaller tank.

paris

I've fallen in Love with the Volitan Lionfish just really want one. I'm planning on having some coral but I'll probably only have one or two other fish with him. I'm just looking into sumps and protein skimmers at the moment. I am slightly on a budget any suggestions of decent protein skimmers for that size tank? hmmmm.......

DaveK

I realise you want a lionfish. They are comparatively easy to keep, but as you know they get big, and they grow fast. My best advice is to leave the lionfish alone, and get something else. If you feel you must have one carefully think about the following -

Are you willing to devote the entire tank to the fish? Even the 200ltr tank works out to be only about 50 gal. A 8 to 10 inch lionfish will take you right to the stocking limit all by itself. You'll need a much larger tank if you want to keep other fish with it.
Are you willing to put up with the work involved keeping the fish for years and years? Lionfish live a long time. Related to this, what will you do with it if you can no longer keep it or don't want it?
Lionfish are venomous. When you work on the tank, you always have to keep an eye out for where the fish is and what it's doing. Also, do you have any kids or pets that might get into the tank get get stung?

If you can honestly put up with either dedicating the tank to the fish, or getting a much larger tank, and keep up with the work for years on end, and you don't mind the danger to yourself, and there are no kids or or pets around, then go for it. Enjoy your new pet. If not, better get something else.

BLADEYAMAHA

agcwelcome29.gif

StirCrayzy

Def. Get a QT.
Then like dave said. You need a larger tank for that fish.
My advice, start with the largest tank you can fit in the place you want the tank to be.
Its much easier to start big and stay big. If you start small, you will eat a lot of cost on items that will need to be upgraded when you switch.
Plus the more water volume you have, the more stable it will be, making it ideal for beginners to start big.
the only drawback is initial startup cost, and its best to map it out and save yer pennies to do it right the first time.
Good luck! Welcome! And never be afraid to ask questions!

paris

Thank you all soooo much for the advice!! I think you guys are all right and am now looking into a decent 300ltr tank. I've found a pretty good sump and protein skimmer, filters etc. without calling and asking how will I know if the protein skimmer will be powerful enough for a 300ltr? Is there anything in specific I'm looking for?? Also I know I have to be really careful when cleaning the tank. Would you guys recommend removing the fish while cleaning first few times or do you think as long as you're careful you'll be okay? No I have no pets or small children. Thanks again you guys are brilliant!! :-D

paris

Do any of you guys use RODI systems? Been hearing a lot about them and seem to be able to pick up a 4stage with DI for about £60. Do they really make much of a difference? I've decided just to stick with the volitan lionfish with no other fish, just a few simple coral like mushrooms and polyps just soft coral nothing too hectic, and am in the process of buying a 350litre tank. The other thing was top up/off systems? Are they worth investing in? I want to do it properly and do everything right, but don't want to invest in kit that's not beneficial. If it saves time and makes life easier I'm all for it!

jpsika08

Have you considered a Dwarf Lionfish? I have the Volitan and when I had him in my 100 gal tank I thought he was going to go crazy, then I moved him into my 210g fuge, now he has more space to swim around.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Yes I own a 4 stage rodi unit and yes auto top offs rock. Absolutely necessary. Guessing from the name, are you from France?

..........used coral frags. half off.

paris

Haha I'm not from france no and sadly never been, it's my birth name believe it or not!
Yeah I'm gunna buy frags and try and grow them as best I can under low lighting.
Yeah I did think about the dwarf but the plan was always to have a big tank so gunna buy big now so when he does get fully grown he's still got loadsa room!

jpsika08

Get minimum if you can a 100 gallon tank horizontal so he can have space to swim in, taking care of this animal is not complicated, they are wonderful creatures.

paris

I've had a few people talk to me about the aquarium controllers? They're about £100 to test the temperature, ph, orp and they have alarm systems. Are these necessary or is there a more simple cost effective way to do this? Also wave makers? Necessary or just an option?

castiel

Wave makers i think are necessary due to them making random flow, but then again you can do that by just pointing to powerheads at each other. The control i would say isn't as need, its more for extra security incase something goes wrong then it will let you know.

paris

I'm trying to look at long term benefits for the tank, and obviously ease for myself! The reefkeeper lite l3 plus I'm looking at gives:

Head Unit
2 PC4 power bars (8 total outlets)
Digital Aquatics Temperature probe
ReefKeeper SL1 pH and ORP Module(Inputs: pH, ORP, Temperature, and 2x Switch Ports)
Digital Aquatics pH Probe
Expandability: Every RKL can interface with up to 4 modules in almost any configuration.
Data reporting: The RKL can report the min, max and average over the last hour for all in and outputs.
Improved 5 button interface: All ReefKeeper Lite's have a 5 button interface. Traditional entry level controllers feature only 3 button interfaces.
16 dedicated timers all with day of the week capability
Audible and visual feedback
16 dedicated alarms
New control functions: Improved controller, multi-timer, light, lunar, and pump controls
Free software upgrades: ReefKeeper software upgrades from Digital Aquatics is free and easy to install via USB cord
Independently programmable night mode allows moonlights and pumps to be adjusted in the evening times
Wavemaker: ReefKeeper Lite's have two wavemaker cycles that control separate pumps to simulate wave motion. Each cycle can be timed and the cycles can be turned off during night mode to give a calming effect.
Programmable standby feedback mode can be set from 1 to 59 minutes during which the ReefKeeper Lite shuts down selected powerheads and pumps. This allows for calm feeding condition and is useful for conducting maintenance.
Head unit easily mounts in a number of professional custom looking ways.
Splash proof face plate
Internal battery backup keeps time and settings of the ReefKeeper Lite safe for years. Power outages will not require the adjustments that other light timers need after power is restored.
Simple menu configuration has an simple interface that allows for easy setup and navigation.

Is there anything else I should be looking for? Or are there cheaper alternatives that give the same results?

paris

Also I know I have to run carbon. If I have the rodi system do I still need to do this, and if so what is the best way?