Help!!! MY mind is turning too mush.

Sub Nate

All right, Heres my questions.I want to set up a reef tank,This will be my first fish tank, what would you suggest for a begginer set up. I've looked at the all in one systems, but was told I would grow out of one of those to quick. Then I looked at 55 gallon predrilled units with a sump, but was told it would be better to get 75 gallon because its wider and not a whole lot more, All of those statements are from my local shop, it is a dedicated fish store.I know bigger is supposedly easier to take care of but is a smaller one impossible for a begginer? But the bigger I go the more live rock and everything I need. So heres what I want, I want to be able to have corals hard and soft, enjoy my fish, I don't have to have a whole school maybe some clown fish, coral beauty, blenies, cleaner shrimp,and of course corals and clams would be great ,A nice looking small reef. And not fall flat on my face or go broke trying to set all this up. I would love to keep everything under a 1000 but I'm not sure if that is a realistic idea.I do like the idea of a sump if I don't get a all in one system. So what are some good brands to look at for protien skimmers, filters, sumps, power heads, heaters, and T-5 lights. I don't mind going bigger I have the room, 75 gal is Max. I know things might not go perfect, but I've been wanting to do this ever since I started scuba diving, and even more since I don't get to see this eveyday, now that I live in Virginia, I use to live in Guam and Hawaii.Are the all is one systems all that bad?And if not what are the best brands. Well I know I put alot out here but it seems like the more I read and talk to people the more confused I get. So any info would be great. Also some good online stores, or should I stick with my local shop? Thank you

yungreefer2410

a 40 gallon breeder sounds like the perfect tank for you. i would do 4 or 5 HO t5 with individual reflectors and with time you would be able to have clams and whatnot. i would also recommend a sump. a 20g long would work fine or a 29g or a rubbermaid.

greene394

Well my advice to you is to do it right the first time, and to do that it will more than likely cost you more $$$ to start off with, but save you lots of aggirivation and $$$ in the long run. If you do get one, get a sump. We have a hang on back filter and tunze protien skimmer and they are so unsightly in our tank and we are in the process of getting a sump to put all of that in for our 80 gallon. It would have been a lot less aggirivation and $$$ if we had done it that way to start out. I also have a JBJ nano cube with metal halide lights, its a 28 gallon and that would also be a good one to start out with. All togather we prob have around $1200 in it cause we also had to buy a chiller to cool the water. I am very pleased with my nano cube! You can look at lots of differnt set ups on Premiumaquatics.com. Lots to think about and concider I know. It def is not a cheap hobby to get into at all, esp when first getting started. All that said, I love the hobby and would not hesitate to tell anyone to get into it. It is so rewarding to see your small ecosystem thrive and do well. Hope all goes well for you. If and when you do decide to do a SW tank, please keep us informed and take pics to share. Good luck!

ReefLady

Staff member
I think a 40g breeder is a great tank. Personally, I'd go a bit bigger. Most people outgrow small tanks quickly - because most ppl like fish, and at a general rule of thumb of 5g per every inch of fully grown fish -- it's tough to stock a smaller tank.
You are right though, bigger tanks will cost you more in live rock, salt for water changes, and just filling it with "stuff". :)
A bigger tank though, is also a more stable tank.

If you're torn between the 55 & 75, definitely go with the 75g, more swimming room for the fish. If you only want a couple small fish, then go with the 40g.

Do some research on lighting requirements for the corals you want. If you really want "hard" corals, you're going to have to spend some serious cash on lighting.

Best of luck! I dive too (never been to Hawaii or Guam, though) - but it definitely makes you want to bring the reef into your home. :)

Jeremy0322

40 gallon breeders are cool, but you will get tired of it in about 6 months and then buy a bigger one. 75 gallon has my vote, its wider but not much taller, is long enough for you to keep most fish, and wont be too hard to keep lit because of the depth not being too great.

Other piece of advice, CHECK Craigslist. People are leaving the hobby cause of money, and you can take their setups for CHEAP! Then just do what you want with them, sell what you dont need, and pick up the rest. I just got almost everything I would have needed for a 90 gallon for 500 bucks.

I started with a 55, it was a good little tank, but in about 6 months the 12 inches of width really annoyed me, and then I went to the 90. The 55 came with everything I needed too, was from craigslist, and was 400 bucks. Lighting for a 75 can be T5 with some good individual reflectors, and you can do the same with a 90 gallon, but for the 90 to get super awesome light on the bottom MH may be the way to go.

jjohnson3

I think a 75 would be much better for you. 99% of people starting into the saltwater hobby will want a tang. A yellow tang is the best one to start out with and will be quite happy for a long time in a 75. JMO.

DaveK

All right, Heres my questions.I want to set up a reef tank,This will be my first fish tank, what would you suggest for a begginer set up. ... I would love to keep everything under a 1000 but I'm not sure if that is a realistic idea. ...

The very first thing you want to do is to go out and get yourself a few good books on SW reef systems. Two good ones to start with are -

The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paletta
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner

The reason you need the books is to give you a lot of basic background before you buy anything. While the information is on the net, it is very difficult to absorb it all that way. There is just too much, and a lot of it is as one person sees things, and they may not be correct by today's standards.

Once you get that basic knowledge, then figure out what you want to keep in the system, given it's limitations. What you want to keep will govern what equipment you need and what esle you can put in the system.

Your going to find out that for the most part your LFSs are clueless when it cones to reef systems and/or are interested in making a fast sale, so you can't depend upon them for information.

Cost is a big factor. By the time you get a reef system fully stocked with all the equipment you need, you can figure that it will cost you between $35 to $50 per gallon of water in the main display tank. In other words a 70 gal tank will cost about $2450 to 3500 by the time your done. You might save some by doing some DIY projects, but that's a reasonable guideline.

Good luck.

lcstorc

Sit back and breathe.
It is easy to get overwhelmed by this hobby. Since you don't yet have the tank and livestock you have the luxury of time to investigate and discover what is best for you.
Dave has given you the name of two awesome books. I am re-reading The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner now.
Another good place to look is at the stickeys on the various forums. Give yourself some time to absorb all of the info and then start buying.
I have 3 tanks a 20, 90,125 there are things I like and dislike about all of them. I also had a 24g Aquapod or all in one system. Same story.
IMO knowing your goal is a good place to start. If you just want a little bit of the ocean in your living room, then buy one of the all in one tanks and keep soft coral and fish with the stock lights etc. If you want this to turn into a real "hobby" then you will want to have a more flexible system that you can add to over time.
Give yourself some time, and don't let the LFS rush you. This is a very slow hobby.

Sub Nate

Hey everyone I just wanted to thank you for all the info. I decided to go with you Jbj 28 with the M/H lights. I recieved a few days ago and now I am cycling it with live rock. I used #20 live sand, and #27 live rock. I was lucky on that because a guy justturned in some Mashall islands rock already covered in coroline alge. But now the problem I'm seeing is M/h lights are hot and I need a mini chiller any recomendations.

ReefLady

Staff member
What size tank did you end up with? Before you commit to buying a chiller, do you have fans that run while the halides are on?
Fans that blow toward/on the water are most effective -- cooling is achieved by evaporation.

It wont really evaporate that much because of the closed style lid. He is going to need a chiller reguardless. If I am correct it has 1 150w metal halide? But with only having 28 gallons of water volume, there wont be enough volume to dissapate the heat produced by that lamp. IE: he will need a chiller. Also, if you look at the nano-cube the fans are over the "sump" portion of the water. The water is not directly below the fans it is about 4 to 5 inches down.

They may have made some design changes since I have last looked at them, but one thing that may help is if you take one of the fans and turn it around so that it is blowing down on to the water rather than sucking hot air out? this seems to have worked for older nanos.

Phreek

jbj makes mini chillers specifically for that tank in mind I believe. look at their website, its called a mini arctica chiller or something like that.

SpitFyre

Ive been told the bigger the better. I was told if you're going to start one, do it right and start big. We just started out, and we've got a 125 gallon tank. Its not that hard to take care of it. I would def. recommend a large tank.

Basile

Hey everyone I just wanted to thank you for all the info. I decided to go with you Jbj 28 with the M/H lights. I recieved a few days ago and now I am cycling it with live rock. I used #20 live sand, and #27 live rock. I was lucky on that because a guy justturned in some Mashall islands rock already covered in coroline alge. But now the problem I'm seeing is M/h lights are hot and I need a mini chiller any recomendations.

Congrats on your new tank ; how big is it? One good little book, i got when i started, now nobody laugh please; Saltwater tank for dummies. I know , cliche... But i must tell you, its so straight forward and it help simplify the lingo at first. And you'll be able to read more advance book knowing the lingo already. My first tank was a biocube 29 g. I'm glad i bought it . I learned much from itand don't regret it. Its cool pretty, self contain ; and i didn't spend much on upgrades and now that i know the hobby a bit more and know what i want i'm doing a bigger one 65 G .If its a small tank, you'll want a bigger one within a year i'd say. And it will cost you more than $ 1 000.But thats cool too . And someone gave you the best advice..TAKE IT SLOW and read, you'll save money.