Help me

TATTOOEDFISHGUY

Can someone please tell me what I should do about my lionfish I took all my peacefull fish out of my tank and gave them to my son I now have all Agressive and Semi Agressive fish only in my tank 5 total in a 72 gallon until next week when I get my 175 I bought a Lionfish he was eating great live and frozen I woke up this morning and his eyes were cloudy and he wasnt eating checked my Amonia it was just over zero barely anything and Nitrates were 20 Nitrites were 0 and my PH dropped to 7.9 DKH 10 and salinity is 1.025how can I save him I'll be really upset if he dies love the fish hes really cool.

Octoman

What is the scale on your ammonia test kit? Some tests kits have a pretty high range and just over 0 could be at a level that is harmful to your fish. When did you add all of these predatory fish to your 72? What kinds of fish and how big?

TATTOOEDFISHGUY

The Amonia scale is from 0 to 8.0 and it was at 0.25 I have 1 Maculosus Angel hes about 5 inches, 1 Foxface about 5 1/2 inches, another foxface 2 1/2 inches and a Yellow Tang 3 1/2 inches and the Lion Fish 5 inches. Thats it what do you think? I am getting a 175gallon next wk that will be theyre new home.

Octoman

A level of 0.25 is enough to cause stress and an indicator that your biofilter can't keep up with the bioload in your tank. That could be the source of your problem. Your best option would be to reduce your bioload right now if at all possible. If you can't/won't do this, I don't typically like to use or recommend this, but Amquel or a similar ammonia binding product along with water changes could be a temporary solution until you can set up your larger system. But only if its really jsut going to be a week, this stuff is just a band-aid and it is questionable how effective it really is. You should also back off on feedings until your ammonia level drops. You will still have to establish the biofilter in the 175. The larger tank volume will help dilute the ammonia to lower levels, but the bacteria will take a few weeks to grow to adjust to the increased bioload.

leebca

The double cloudy eyes is usually indicative of an onset of disease or of the fish having trouble with water quality.

I'm unsure that, from your post, you are aware of how to properly control the marine aquarium. This is not a negative comment on you. It is more a question of who's advice you are takinig and following.

Besides ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, salinity, and temperature there are the additional ingredients/chemistries that control the pH. Since your pH isn't where it should be, I suspect these chemistries may be out of control. Those chemistries that control the pH are: alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium. In a reef aquarium, these must be controlled daily. In a fish aquarium, these need monitoring at every water change or no less than once a month, and adjustments made if needed.

Although the above 3 can be within their 'range' they must be balanced to function properly. This post gives you info on that, along with other issues that contribute to good water quality: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/34037-what-water-quality.html

Read the above and compare its recommendations to your setup. Also then start checking the other things out and bring them into balance.

In the meantime, this fish is having a problem. Too early to tell if it's disease or infection, but you must address the water quality. While doing/following the follow recommendations, obtain some Maracyn Two for Saltwater fishes and have it ready to treat the fish, if the fish is infected. If the fish has been http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...9-fed-properly-received-proper-nutrition.html these last few weeks, it should be fine for two or three weeks without eating.

I want you to perform a huge water change -- over 80%. Since it is a large water change, I want you to follow the guidelines given here: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...7-how-make-safe-water-change-marine-fish.html

If you see or notice ANY improvement in this fish AND/OR the other fishes, do another 80% water change the next day AGAIN.

Before you make that first water change, I want you to verify that your source water is pure. What is your source water? How is it made? What is it's TDS?

The larger tank will be nice, but it won't be mature nor operational for some time. Go slowly and your fish will do fine. This may help you on some points for starting up that larger tank: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...arting-your-first-fo-fowlr-marine-system.html

Good luck! :yup:

TATTOOEDFISHGUY

Thanks guys but my buddie has passed away its too late im not adding anything until I make sure its all under control and my new tank is set up. I may not add anything to the new tank either just to make sure all the bad levels stay down. Thanks for your help I appreciate it.