Help me with lighting for my 55

OK. I'm ready to throw down and get proper lighting for my 55-gallon reef. I want to have softies, SPS, LPS, anemones, clams, you name it. I'm really thinking about T5s rather than MH because of the heat issue. The last thing I want to do is get a chiller. Also, I don't want to have to cut down my lighting to only 8 hours a day. I want to see my tank!

I don't have a canopy, so a retro is out of the question. I'm gonna have to get an all-in-one fixture. Will 4x54w T5 be enough? My friend seems to think that 6 will be too much and I might end up bleaching stuff. Is there that much of a difference with only 2 extra bulbs? He runs 4 T5s on a 90 gallon that is much deeper than my 55 and he keeps all kinds of stuff successfully.

What do you guys/gals recommend? ATIs are out of the question as I can't spend that much. I'm thinking about a Nova Extreme of something in that range. Give me your advice. Also, what kind of bulb configuration would you run?

BLAKEJOHN

If you want to keep SPS, Clams and an anenome you will need a fixture with individual reflectors. These fixtures are more expensive than the ones without them. I dont believe the nova extreme has individual reflectors. The more light is better, but six bulbs wont fit over a 55. I would Get a four bulb fixture and stick to LPS, some SPS such as Moti's and Birdsnest's, and a RBTA at best. If you want to keep other SPS and clams you should get a MH and T-5 combo.

Lighting, as with a skimmer, is important and you will drop a nice chunck of cash to get somthing that is worth while.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
As BJ pointed out your goal is Individual Reflectors (IDR). This means a seperate reflector for each bulb not a "rolled/bent/folded" sheet like some manufacturers are trying to "slip" into the market.

The Nova Extreme does NOT have IDR. The Nova Extreme PRO does. I don't know the exact dimensions of your tank but I am pretty sure that the NEP will fit (with six bulbs) with it's stated dimesions (from the web) being 48" x 12" x 4.25"

Your friend is correct you can bleach your coral with too much light but you can bleach them with 2, 4, 6, or even ONE bulb. Regardless of what light you go with you'll want to do "Light Acclimation" depending on what you currently have over your tank.

As far as lighting goes I would go with as many bulbs as you can pack over your tank. Catalina Aquariums makes a nice T5 unit with IDR. They have a 4, 6, and an 8 bulb set0up that I am pretty sure you can fit.

4 bulb
Dimensions: 48 in x 8 in x 2 5/8 in

6 bulb

Dimensions: 48 in x 8? in x 2 5/8 in
(8? I would round up to 9")

8 bulb
Dimensions: 48 in x 121/2 in x 2 5/8 in

Good advice so far. I know I'm definitely going for individual reflectors. I've read plenty about how much of a difference they can make. And yes, width is going to be an issue for me. I'm going to have to have room on the back for a HOT Magnum and/or another power filter plus an overflow box so I cant use all of the space front to back for lighting. Although, now that I think about it, I guess the light will be standing over the top of this stuff, depending on how high I keep the light from the surface. So maybe I will have use of all the room from front to back.

Right now, Nova Extreme Pro is seeming like a pretty good option for me. I've also looked into the Sundial. I like the built-in timers. I really want/need moon lights, though. Any other recommendations? What about Tek? And any advice on where to buy from. Basically I've just been scanning Ebay for now. Other people with 55s please chime in.

MrPex

I've got a 60 with 4x65 PC and 2x150 10K MH. It's a Catalina (I just happen to work around the corner from their shop). My LFS refuses to stock Catalina any more because they said they've had some quality issues in the past, but I bought mine on here (RS) used (thanks again SeaLover!) and it has been working fine and dandy for about a month now.

And if you go with a Catalina 2x150 MH, you don't need to run any fans for the bulbs if you just run the MH, as I do, so you can stay quieter. (That's from the owner of Catalina.) And it has adjustable lunar lights.

As for the heat, I have mine about 4" above my tank and my tank only fluctuates about 1.5 degrees with 8 hours of use/day.

One thing I DON'T like about my Catalina though is that the cable management really sucks. They have multiple cables coming out of both ends of the fixture instead of just a couple coming out of just one end. Kinda' sloppy design work IMO. But again, the thing works great.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I personally prefer mh's. Just because you wouldn't be able to install more than 4 T5's on your particular tank.

How do you see that?

If the tank measures
48 x 12½ x 21 Tall

you could swing 6 and if you're "creative" get 8 over that tank.

Good point, BigAl.

Isn't a 55 gallon 12 inches front to back? I've seen 6 bulb T5s fixtures that are 12". That won't fit? Will it spread the light too much or hang over the edges?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
How do you see that?

If the tank measures
48 x 12½ x 21 Tall

you could swing 6 and if you're "creative" get 8 over that tank.

At 12.5 inches, 8 bulbs would spill a lot of light onto the floor. You really only need to light the middle of the tank where the coral is; lighting the glass will increase algae growth on it. More is not always better - go with 6. The best fixture for a narrow tank is an Aquactinics TX5 5 bulb unit; 8 inches wide or so, and as much light as you could want

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have a 24" fixture over a 22" tank and it works GREAT!! It's up to you but you CAN do 6 bulbs and 8 are almost doable.

I'm telling you I REALLY like my catalina fixture.

Curgan

I have a 55 gallon, and just put 4 t5's over it, and i love it. I got the icecap ballast and retro kit, which overdrives each t5 to 80 watts or so... and threw two fans in there to drive out the radiant heat, and everything is working great, with no chiller, and i live in southern cali, where the temp right now is 95 degrees. if you want to go with t5's id recommend an icecap setup.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Excellent input Mark! Thanks for your suggestions. pushing those T5's to 80w you're doing a GREAT thing with the fans. You want to try and keep those bulbs as cool as you can or you lose PAR and bulb life.

Icecap makes some SWEET light components!!

I just installed a Catalina 4 bulb T5 fixture over my 55 and I am very pleased with it. It is easy to install and is keeping my LPS and softies nicely. I am thinking about getting a rbta in the near future. However if you want to go with alot of acros then you need to get a MH fixture.

Reefin

I have 2x150w mh with 2x130w pc over my 55g tank measures 48"x15"dx18"t
and i love the way the mh's give the shimmer effect on my tank with the 20k bulbs heat is an issue so I had to buy a chiller but got a good deal on a used one but in the end couldn't be happier with the lighting it's a current outer orbit fixture i believe also got a good deal used $200 and have suspended above tank 6" with cable rope and clamps :spinner: