Help!! I'm dumb as a stump!!

Uslanja

Well, the sump is running, but the photos still need to be uploaded. Now I'm wondering how do I "dial in" our skimmer? We have installed a Reef Octopus NW110 skimmer. It produces the loveliest white foam anyone has ever had the opportunity to enjoy. But..........????? If we adjust the skimmer to get the foam into the collection cup, it just reverts back to very clean looking water. We presently have the skimmer creating foam and set so that it just rises into the neck of the skimmer below the collection cup. Does it eventually start to get the nasties out of the water and then the dirty foam rises into the cup? It has been running over 24 hours now and the foam is still nice and clean looking. So, do I sell the skimmer because our tank is so clean that sea water would be jealous, or am I missing something, (other than an instruction booklet)?

Thanks
Dumb as a Stump

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Hello Stumpie,

Yes set it up so the bubbles fall just short of the collection cup and as the water starts getting yucky it will increase up and into the cup. The foam will look white and purdy but as it collects into the cup it should look nasty greenish brownish.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hey Dave! ( I knew it was you from the thread title, Stacy is no stump :) )

Shoot us a picture of this thing in action when you can. All skimmers need to break in when first setup. THere are all kinds of oils and crap in them from manufacturing and this can take a few days to a week to break in.

Just set it to where the bubbles are really good and let it ride.

A few god pictures will also help so we can get a visual if there is anything wrong.

Glad it's moving along for you two!

Frank

Uslanja

Hi Guys! Thanks for letting me know that we are on the right track! So, we'll just wait it out and see. Photos coming soon, (we took lots). Now I need to hide my bi-line from Tracy, because she'll probably agree!!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
lol, accounts are free and "dumbasastump" would be a wonderful username, we could discuss this hiding under the skirts issue when your ready:yup:

glampka

Patience my stump! Just let it be for a few days. It needs to "break in". It'll be producing the ugliest, smelliest stuff in a few days & if Tracy's nose is as sensitive as her ears you'll be cleaning the collection cup daily.

Uslanja

Hehehe!! We really did need the information that you guys shared with us, but we enjoyed all the humor even more!! I LOVE RS!!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hehehe!! We really did need the information that you guys shared with us, but we enjoyed all the humor even more!! I LOVE RS!!

lol, ok i'll bite, you know youv'e been in Ont too long when you start thinking your a coastie

Uslanja

Hey sasquatch! I see you're in BC! Been there (posted in White Rock for a bit back in the mid 90's), nice place! But take a look at the map and you can clearly see that we are situated on a very big coastline, and it is in the south and..... so I firmly believe that we're on Canada's South Coast!! Now if I could just find that tropical southern reef that should be around here, somewhere......??!! Never "too long" in Ontario, always love getting back to it!! So,...... where abouts on that western coast are you?

Hey Everyone! Here's were my stumpiness shows again!! The skimmer is running and I have it adjusted to make foam that travels just up and into the neck of the skimmer. Every now and again the foam in the neck will darken (with nasties I assume) and travel up and flow over into the collection cup. This is the action that I believe we are trying to achieve. But, it is actually very wet, albeit green and smelly water in the cup, not very dry at all? We feed phyto plankton to our tank and once we turn the sump back on the skimmer foams into the collection cup quite vigorously; so how long should we wait after feeding before we turn the skimmer back on and clean the water? Seems a little counter productive to feed phyto to the tank for the filter feeders and then 10 minutes later remove all of the food? Should we throttle back the skimmer so that it does not remove the phyto so quickly?

Hey Gary! You're absolutely correct.... Tracy's nose noticed the smell!! Should I hang car air freshners in the living room? I'm thinking the "Sea Breeze" scent might compliment the tanks?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hey sasquatch! I see you're in BC! Been there (posted in White Rock for a bit back in the mid 90's), nice place! But take a look at the map and you can clearly see that we are situated on a very big coastline, and it is in the south and..... so I firmly believe that we're on Canada's South Coast!! Now if I could just find that tropical southern reef that should be around here, somewhere......??!! Never "too long" in Ontario, always love getting back to it!! So,...... where abouts on that western coast are you?

Hey Everyone! Here's were my stumpiness shows again!! The skimmer is running and I have it adjusted to make foam that travels just up and into the neck of the skimmer. Every now and again the foam in the neck will darken (with nasties I assume) and travel up and flow over into the collection cup. This is the action that I believe we are trying to achieve. But, it is actually very wet, albeit green and smelly water in the cup, not very dry at all? We feed phyto plankton to our tank and once we turn the sump back on the skimmer foams into the collection cup quite vigorously; so how long should we wait after feeding before we turn the skimmer back on and clean the water? Seems a little counter productive to feed phyto to the tank for the filter feeders and then 10 minutes later remove all of the food? Should we throttle back the skimmer so that it does not remove the phyto so quickly?

Hey Gary! You're absolutely correct.... Tracy's nose noticed the smell!! Should I hang car air freshners in the living room? I'm thinking the "Sea Breeze" scent might compliment the tanks?

We are about 20 miles from Victoria BC on Vancouver Island, grew up in Windsor, hated it moved way west, going to try the "other" coast in a couple of years see what thats like.

Skimmer... performance is affected by everything you add to the tank even your hands, as for phyto? sooner its out the better so it can't turn into detritus, don't think your quite broken in yet maybe another week and it should get pretty regular

catran

I used to turn mine off when I fed my tank, but now I just let it go crazy for a while. My Tunze take about 3-4 days after I clean the neck to work properly again. They are a pain, but a necessary pain!

Uslanja

Hey Cat! Got it! So a skimmer isn't a "set it and forget it" piece of equipment! So long as I know that I'll be fussing with it. Time to get some experience with it!