help course red algae please help

budshaq

Please help id and get rid of this course red algae in attached pictures. The white lines in the picture is where I put a kalkwasser paste on it in an attempt to burn it up. It stays short and attaches very firmly. If I try pulling, it just breaks off. I have tried scrubbing, pulling etc. The patch pictured is on my overflow weir. The rest of the tank is doing well except for other small patches of the same thing. I have blue leggs, red legs, turbos, and cerith snails, and none of them seem to care for it.

water parameters:
Salinity 1.023
Calcium 430
KH 7KH
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 0

Attachments

• random 001.jpg
    random 001.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 93
  • random 004.jpg
    random 004.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 93
  • random 006.jpg
    random 006.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 93
  • random 008.jpg
    random 008.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 92

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I can't ID it for sure but can tell you that Bryopsis isn't only GREEN but can be red as well.

hma

Seems to be Corallina officinalis. It grows at less than 20 mg / nitrate supple, usually rather hard. then they break easily. This type of algae is rarely longer than a few months in nutrient poor aquarium to find. Every seahare as well as the sea-urchin Tripneustes gratilla and the nudi Tridachia crispata are known to eat these algae. By the way .... in case it is really red HA (but i don't think so) all before called animals also eat HA. :)

Last edited:

hma

:confused: Bryopsis spp. are always green, sometimes with a hint if blue.

ehhmmm ..... Of course there are red hair-algae, not Bryopsis that's right but they really exist. Mostly they belong to the kind of Asparagopsis and some of them looking very similar like Bryopsis with exception of the colour, they are just red.. :cool:

tatuvaaj

ehhmmm ..... Of course there are red hair-algae, not Bryopsis that's right but they really exist. Mostly they belong to the kind of Asparagopsis. :cool:
Yes, that's what I was saying: Bryopsis spp. is not red. That doesn't mean red algae doesn't exist (there are thousands of red alga species).

budshaq

It does not look like Corallina officinalis to me. Someone suggested it was Asparagopsis taxiformis, and another simular inappearence to me is maybe Gelidium pusillum. Any thoughts on either of those, and what might eat them?

johnmaloney

maybe gelidium, (better pic needed for closer id, maybe a macro shot of a trimming) but definitely not asparagopsis taxiformis. you would be thrilled if you had the latter, it is a breathtaking algae. google images wont help you with a correct pic of that species unless you look at this one:
http://www.algaebase.org/webpictures/Ataxiformis.jpg

but even then, the algae looks completly different in person, if photographs horrible. It is usually in pink tufts with a purple main axis, some really nice stuff even if it doesn't look like it in that picture. Oh well, thought I would share that, it is a favorite of mine...

MrPex