Help and advice on stocking

Big Pete

Hi Guys

i need the wisdom that the forum offers, i am ready to put my first fish into my RSM250, i really love Tangs but have read that they suffer from Marine Ich a bit more than other fish, so with that in mind should they be the first inhabitants in the tank that way they will not stress as much.

i have the chance to purchase a baby Yellow Tang and a baby Blue Tang.

Will it be okay to have two tangs in the tank?

i look forward to your input and thanks in advance

Big Pete

DaveK

An rsm250 holds about 65 gal of water. Regretfully, this size tank is way too small to house any tangs. Minimum tank size for a yellow tang is about 100 gal, for a blue tang about 150. Also, as you point out tangs are prone to SW ich. I'd say choose another fish for your tank, and things will work out a lot better.

I know, that tangs are great fish to own, but you need to have a tank large enough to house them. It's usually not a good idea to figure on getting a small tang now, and upgrade the tank later. They grow very quickly and often that tank upgrade never comes.

Big Pete

Hi DaveK

thanks for you input on this, i will need to do more research on fish stocking and find out what is compatible for my tank.

cheers

Big Pete

3dees

I have a four foot 120 gal. tank and I won't put any tang in it. I think six foot minimum. too many beautiful fish to choose from rather than these ich magnets.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
An rsm250 holds about 65 gal of water. Regretfully, this size tank is way too small to house any tangs. Minimum tank size for a yellow tang is about 100 gal, for a blue tang about 150. Also, as you point out tangs are prone to SW ich. I'd say choose another fish for your tank, and things will work out a lot better.

I know, that tangs are great fish to own, but you need to have a tank large enough to house them. It's usually not a good idea to figure on getting a small tang now, and upgrade the tank later. They grow very quickly and often that tank upgrade never comes.

IMO, DaveK speaks the best Tang advice that can be given.
If you plan on having a Tang: GET A BIG ENOUGH TANK to start with or wait until you upgrade to a big enough tank. Be fair to the fish you put into your tank if they will outgrow your tank, you shouldn't buy them.