Hello!

DanSReef

Well....here I go! My First Post!

I am new to this forum and am looking to learn a lot from the collective group here. I spent some time the last couple of days reviewing a lot of rich information....and knowledge! Thank you so much!

I started with Salt Water and Reefs 15 ....no 20+ years ago.... My first saltwater tank consisted of a 2 1/2 gallon micro tank with an anemone and a clown…both of which survived for years on my desk in college. To be honest…I had no idea why people said keeping Salt Water was so difficult.

I eventually upgraded the tank to a 5 gallon….then a 10 gallon and then to a 20 gallon tank over the years. I learned that if you used common sense…took things slow…and followed the guidance of knowledgeable people….you can successfully have a saltwater or reef system.

I have had a 29 gal Oceanic Cube Tank now for 2 years… It was an upgrade from a flatback hex that I had for years…in the 20 gallon size with an integrated filter…etc. I usually keep clowns, gobies and soft corals….and various crabs and shrimp. A few months ago I purchased a copper band butterfly to get rid of an outbreak of rock anemones that infested the tank when I was out of town for some time….and the tank was under my wife’s supervision… :yup: I was told he would last a couple of weeks and that he would be hard to keep in such a small tank. I have had no problem….and he is both happy and extremely healthy.

This last week, I decided to take things up a notch and so I purchased a 72 gallon bowfront glass system off of Craig’s List. It has T-5 lighting, Skimmer and a 29 gallon tank as a sump. The stand was a bit of a turd…as was the tank frankly. With a little elbow grease…both are very presentable…now!

Since this is the largest tank I have had…. And since it is going to reside in the family room in clear view of all….family and guests…I am both excited about being able to create a real nice show piece and a little apprehensive. Tomorrow …we set it up….all the plumbing…mix the water… and get the substrate and base rock in. So….the journey begins...!

Again….many thanks to all who have posted such great information on this site. I have already refreshed much of the information I have read and heard over the years. I have built considerable knowledge and learned…I have so much yet to learn! In time…I hope to share as well with the community here…my ideas….my experiences… and pictures as this tank grows and evolves over time.

Dan

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif