Hello from sunny FL

FLReefers

Hello hello :) After months of lurking this forum, my husband & I have decided to join the reefer madness!!

We are complete noobs to the hobby & are excited to announce that after loads of research, forum perusing, & various trips to many of our LFS we have finally ordered our very own tank! To say my husband is ecstatic is putting it mildly - he has been anxiously awaiting this day!!

We will mainly be posting in the Red Sea Max forum, as we decided on a white RSM C-250. It's arriving tomorrow & we're stoked to start this journey. I plan on taking many photos & HD vids along the way. Any & all advice from you guys will be greatly appreciated - this forum has already provided so much insight to us, srsly you guys are so inspiring!

:snshne: Erin & Jake

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS!! Many Floridians here and now another!! Start a tank thread so we can follow your journey.

FLReefers

Greg, we have been lurking your posts for some time & definitely plan to start a tank thread & post pics of our journey with the new tank!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hello Erin & Jake :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to posting at Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
I know your getting an AWESOME tank & I'm excited that you are going to share it here.
I look forward to seeing it come to life. :D
Very BEST WISHES :biker

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Congrats on the new Beautiful white RSM C-250 - look forward to seeing it :)

Welcome, even before I joined I was getting help from these guys they are great. Good luck with your tank.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

FLReefers

A BIG thank you to you all for being so welcoming!! We are so excited to build our own little reef!!

Now were in the waiting game - we found out yesterday our beautiful tank won't be arriving now until Monday! (a little patience test perhaps?? Ha!....only seems fitting with this hobby:) of course that means we're pouting a bit that we won't have this weekend to work on putting it all together but it's all good we will just appreciate it all the more when it arrives!

Question: our LFS suggested dry rock go in our new tank with our live sand we have already purchased as opposed to live rocks?! Thoughts on this? What do you guys think? (I may cross post this question in the Red Sea forum)

Thanks in advance! & Happy weekend!

:snshne: Erin & Jake

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
There more than one way to proceed in regards to live rock / dry rock

In my 1st tank I went with all LR (live rock) beautiful Tonga Branch, with great success. (My RSM 130D)

In my 2nd tank (RSM 250) I decided to go with dry rock (from Marco's Rock) 80% & 20% lr from my lfs, with great success & more $$$ to spend on corals.

imo (in my opinion) you won't go wrong... either way.

Pros & Cons to both... with good husbandry skills, researching corals & fish and by going slow while the tank cycles, you will have a beautiful reef tank.

and a tip ... whatever your lfs tells you... ask about it here on the forum before purchasing.... this wisdom will serve you well ;)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think their are pros & cons BOTH when starting out with LR. You could very well unknowingly be getting some nuisance algae and hard to deal with hitchhikers.
To benefit your tank more (with either dry or LR) the lighter & more porous it is the more surface area the bacteria has to grow on. IMO, you should try to avoid buying solid heavy chunks of base rock. They displace more needed water volume.
Going with mostly porous dry rock may take a little longer for your tank to cycle but it will lessen your chances of getting LR someone may have gotten rid of because they let something bad take over their tank. Look it over good.

On the sand: I used less than 1/2 live sand & the rest dry sand. How much sand did you get?
Be sure to check the dates on your live sand and most importantly the grain size. Some sand grain sizes are TOO FINE & it's very hard to keep the sand in place with the water flow needed in a reef tank. Too fine of sand will be super frustrating, been there & had to fix that.
Very good that you are asking anything you wonder about. RS is a good place to ask & there are NO DUMB ???s
No one here will slam you for asking anything.
This is the best place to be (like Glenn just said) :thumbup:

FLReefers

Thanks Glenn & Diana for responding! I definitely plan to continue cross checking my LFS suggestions with RS.

Still unsure as to whether or not to go live or dry, but we have a few days to make up our minds. Appreciate the input - especially Diana, whichever we choose we will definitely be looking at how porous it is - thanks for your tips on rocks!!

As far as the sand goes: My husband Jake ordered (3) 20lb bags of CaribSea Figi Pink Arag-Alive Reef Sand. I just checked the bags & they are all dated Dec 2015 -so were good on the shelf life. What do you think about the sand choice?

Cheers!!

Erin & Jake

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
CaribSea's sand are great sand... the Fiji Pink is a bit smaller grain size, may blow a bit but should settle over time... I use the Special Reef Grade in all my tanks

Fiji Pink Sand
0.5-1.5 mm; available in 20 lb water packed bag

Special Grade Sand
1.0-2.0 mm; available in 20 lb water packed bag

Here a link to some great dry rock - with Free Shipping
http://www.marcorocks.com/dry-rock/marcorocks-key-largo-dry-rock-50lb-box/

and a good :read:
http://www.marcorocks.com/faq/

If you really want to get ahead of the game & understand the cycle, check this great post out by RS member prow
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...something-cycling-breaking-new-reef-tank.html

FLReefers

Glenn,
Thank you that is some awesome live rock and I couldn't pass up. I combined it with some marco dry rock to blend the 2. Tank arrived in the late afternoon and I assembled the stand. Im going to finish the set up off tomorrow. I'm also going to read the article you posted for Roy on the crabs for some CUC education. I'll start the thread no later than this weekend. Looking forward to the journey and appreciate the guidance! :happywalk: