Hello from Illinois

DebMc

Hi all, I'm new to the saltwater hobby. Got my first 29g tank for Mothers Day. I have live sand and live rock. My only occupants are a diamond damsel, yellow tail damsel, emerald crab and four small hermit type crabs. I had the brown algae come and go from my tank, I just did a partial water change yesterday and cleaned the tank. I am going to check my ph, amonia, nitrate and nitrite levels to make sure all is well. I have been reading all the posts and my mind is on overload. I would like to get a couple new fish and maybe a serpent starfish. Any suggestions or helpful hints?

DanSReef

Hi DebMc.... Welcome to RS.

One of my tanks is a 29 gal BioCube so I am familair with your size tank. I would be concerned about how aggressive your damsels would be for other fish. Both of the ones you have I have also had and the quickly established a territory and a pecking order. New fish introduced usually did not fare well. With a 29 gal...you are also very limitted to what you can have there. I think it is too small for a pygmy angel...like a flame or coral beauty... I would be careful of introducing clowns or chromis. I think your damsels would destroy them. I would perhaps look at some small gobies... I have a pair of neon gobies in my display tank....as long as they have adequate hiding places to duck and hide... I think they could owrk out. Mine get chased by everything....but they are small and are real quick.

Good luck!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good advise above...

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Beginner Fish: Tropical Fish for Beginners in Saltwater Aquariums

DebMc

:sleeping:It's funny how you get attached to the critters in your tank. I'm sad that my damsels may have to go back to the store in order for me to get new fish. If I took my damsels out and introduced a clown fish or firefish goby and then put them back in would that help? I'm going over tomorrow to get a red serpent starfish. Can't wait for that. But will go slow with other fish because I don't want anything to die.

A couple questions: Do you recommend getting a mated pair of clown fish or just one? What kind is best to get? If I get a clown fish do I have to get a anemone? Also want a pair of firefish gobies. I can only have 5 fish so I want to have a happy tank.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If you get a pair of juvenile clowns the dominant one will become a female - no need to pay to get a mated pair. Tank bred clowns are usually the hardiest - I have a pair of Ocellaris that I got when only about an inch long, and now they raise a batch of eggs every 10-12 days. No need to have an anemone - they'll do fine without one - I don't have one. Some clowns are very aggressive so be careful which type you get.

catran

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!
I'm in Elk Grove, where are you? What LFS are you getting your clowns from? :)

yankieman

welcome to RS I am in westcentral IL,, guess the where are you question has been asked LOL , I agree with Nanoreef go slow and read a lot I have had my 210 gal set up and running almost a month and I dont have anything in it yet while I wait for a complete cycle to happen,

DebMc

I live in Canton, IL, small town about 30 miles west of Peoria. There is a LFS in Pekin named Charlies where I will get my fish. Nothing else around this area that I know of. I think I will add more snails and crabs and wait on the fish for a bit longer. Don't want to spend the money just to watch them die.

I appreciate all of your comments and suggestions. This is so addicting. :p

catran

Yeah, I'd wait a while, especially if you are going on vacation. I bought an unbonded, unmated pair of clownfish and they bonded after a couple of months. If you get them when they are pretty young, I think they will bond easier.

yankieman

oh I have beed to chariles its been years but i know where it is and canton isnt to far from me Im from galesburg but live outside Monmouth now