Hello from Dhaka

Sharek

Long time follower of this forum. Finally decided to get a small (25 gallon) tank consisting of 1 clownfish, 2 demselfish and 1 unknown anemone.

Don't plan on adding any more fishes but any recommendation on how to make it better would be great. As I am totally new at this.

Unfortunately, where I live there are only a couple of stores selling salt water, rest are specializing on fresh water.

Just wanted to say hello and share a few pics

Take care and stay safe

Attachments

• 20210619_100518.jpg
    20210619_100518.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 20210619_095348.jpg
    20210619_095348.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20210619_095330.jpg
    20210619_095330.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20210618_202236_01.jpg
    20210618_202236_01.jpg
    785.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210618_200213_01.jpg
    20210618_200213_01.jpg
    913.6 KB · Views: 3

DaveK

Pleas do not take this as an attack on you, since your new to the hobby.

Your LFS should have never sold you an anemone when you are setting up a new tank. Anemones require stable, well established tanks, with excellent water quality and lighting. This usually takes about a year for a tank to reach this point. Before that the system is likely to be having algae blooms and tends to be somewhat unstable.

In looking at your anemone, it looks pink in the photos. If that's the actual color, your anemone may be bleached, ie it has lost it's symbiotic algae. They can recover from this condition, but you need to be very careful. Typically an anemone in good health should look brown or possibly green. Don't panic if you see it turning these colors.

Now I know you don't want to hear this advice, but the best thing to do would be to return the anemone to your LFS. This is tough for a lot of people to do, so if you are going to give it a try, be especially careful about how you handle the tank and the anemone. First, don't overfeed the anemone. Once a week or so should be just fine. Be very careful that the anemone can't get into any filter system intakes. Many have been killed this way. Keep the lighting on the low side until it is well established in your tank. Yes, I know I just said that anemones like high light, but you need to be careful since yours seems to be bleached. Anemones tend to wonder all over the tank when they are new in a system. This is fairly normal. Anemones often change between day and night. Durring the day, they want to "soak up some rays" for their symbiotic algae, but at night the want to capture any preay that wonderes into them. There is some overlap here, and your anemone isn't going to turn down a good meal. If the anemone dies on you, you must get it out of the tank right away. A dead anemone can easily foul a tank.

Good luck.

Sharek

Pleas do not take this as an attack on you, since your new to the hobby.

Your LFS should have never sold you an anemone when you are setting up a new tank. Anemones require stable, well established tanks, with excellent water quality and lighting. This usually takes about a year for a tank to reach this point. Before that the system is likely to be having algae blooms and tends to be somewhat unstable.

In looking at your anemone, it looks pink in the photos. If that's the actual color, your anemone may be bleached, ie it has lost it's symbiotic algae. They can recover from this condition, but you need to be very careful. Typically an anemone in good health should look brown or possibly green. Don't panic if you see it turning these colors.

Now I know you don't want to hear this advice, but the best thing to do would be to return the anemone to your LFS. This is tough for a lot of people to do, so if you are going to give it a try, be especially careful about how you handle the tank and the anemone. First, don't overfeed the anemone. Once a week or so should be just fine. Be very careful that the anemone can't get into any filter system intakes. Many have been killed this way. Keep the lighting on the low side until it is well established in your tank. Yes, I know I just said that anemones like high light, but you need to be careful since yours seems to be bleached. Anemones tend to wonder all over the tank when they are new in a system. This is fairly normal. Anemones often change between day and night. Durring the day, they want to "soak up some rays" for their symbiotic algae, but at night the want to capture any preay that wonderes into them. There is some overlap here, and your anemone isn't going to turn down a good meal. If the anemone dies on you, you must get it out of the tank right away. A dead anemone can easily foul a tank.

Good luck.

Thank you DaveK. I really needed this advise. Unfortunately not enough professional shops in here, so they sell you whatever they can. I was stupid enough to fall into the trap.

I will try to return it, if they don't take it back I will follow your advice and take care of the anemone.

Again I want to say, really appreciate your comments.

Take care