Heater shorted out and broke open

johnlewis

My Visi therm heater failed and cracked the heater coils were exposed to the water and turned black it looks like it leached all kinds of stuff into the tank. I have the skimmer on high I just added about 5 gallons of RO water and have carbon running. Does anyone have any other suggestions ? The temp is normal in the tank.

johnlewis

I would guess a few hours, I've lost all my snails and my softies are closed up. The hard corals are shrunk and have a film over them. I am going to do a water change today, and remove all of the snails. I am guessing some copper was released. I hope the anemones live. I am going to a titanium heater any recommendations ?

i have 2 jali ti heaters and controllers, so far so good, i had a prob awhile back of getting zapped, after i did some rearranging and a new outlet, everything is good

johnlewis

I have no good luck what so ever. Now some of my carbon was pulled out of the bag and through the pump now the water is black.

Witfull

fire up the diatom filter or add a sock and it will clear quickly. and we thought reefs releived stress,,,LOL

johnlewis

It's clearing fish look OK, but it's gone need some water changes and that carbon to get the smell out of the water. I call aquarium Systems to see what they might suggest and they concurred with my practices. They said the short caused the toxins. The power did not go off even though the circuit is a tested GFI. Long story short they are also going to replace it with a new stealth model when I send it back.