Heater Broke, Tank doomed?

Slickcg33

So, on one of the coldest nights of the year here in sunny Florida my heater breaks.
I didn't find out until this morning but the tank dropped down to 60 degrees (maybe more, but the thermometer read 60 when i woke up) I ran out and got a new heater and its slowly raising the temp back up. The tanks temp is usually around 79-80 degrees regularly. Everything looks shriveled up and dead and i think that's how most of the corals may remain.
Any suggestions on what I can do to help the tank out? Like I said I got a new heater that's slowly raising it back, but other then that I don't know what to do. Just sit and wait and see what survives? Has anyone had any experience with something like this? Is everything doomed? I have 3 nems in the tank and they look like sh*t any suggestions are appreciated thanks.

Stacef

I had this happen to me in the passed. My tank went to 62 degrees, and from what I know, it was most likely there for an entire day, or more.

Everything besides a few zoas did survive.

I am not saying that you may have this good of luck. I did just as you did, went and got a new heater, and raised it slowly. Although, I do have to say, I would not set it to 79, and let the tank get up to temp by having the heater cranked.

I would put the heater on 65 first, and let the tank get there, and the slowly go up 5 degrees. This is a drastic change for these corals and tankmates, bringing it back up just as slow as it fell is key IMO.

Slickcg33

hmm i didnt think about that. i was just slowly raising it to 79 maybe ill take more time and make it even slower of a raise. i just wanted to get out of the bad zone as soon as possible. that you for the good advice.

rmlevasseur

Seems like this has been a bad week for a lot of people. Sorry to hear that. Two heaters and a controller is always a good idea.

I always wonder about whether drastic conditions should be fixed fast or slow. By all mean get other opinions, but if it were me I'd get it to 74 or so pretty fast, and then take your time in raising it up from there. Always a tough call when things are really out of whack whether there is more risk in leaving them in drastic conditions longer or changing their conditions again quickly.

hredder

YeH it was 16 degree in Tampa Florida this morning...I'm still a newbie myself but is a great idea to take the wattage your tank need... Divide it half and get two heaters...that's what I did..instead of one 300 watt heater I did two 150 watt instead in case one breaks

kospaintball

Two Weeks ago when i made the trip to indiana, my heater didn't break but it just didn't work.

Everything lived but i thought i was going to loose my xenia...
they are recovering but they are nothing like they used to be

chipmunkofdoom2

Two heaters is an EXCELLENT idea. When I get my sump, I'm just going to keep my 150 watt heater and add an extra 100 watt or so.

Slickcg33

update

Well its been about 30 hours since i put in the new heater. I ended up just setting the heater at 78 and letting it do the work of getting the tank back up to the right temperature. I did this because it actually took quite a long time for the heater to do it itself, about 6 hours to get back up. So i didnt think there was a need for me to slowly adjust it up.
The tank is doing surprisingly well. I was concerned most about the 3 anemones i have in there because they were all shriveled up and looked as if they were spewing their guts out of their gaping mouths. I know that to be a bad sign so i watched carefully. As of now the anemones look much better 1 still looking stressed though. everything else in the tank seems to be slowly coming back very well with exception the the Xenia. The xenia looks very skinny/thin and sick, this might end up being my only casualty.

twoclowns

2 years ago I had a power outage for about 18 hours at two different locations, my parents where my large reef set is and my apartment where my 72g bow was, I didn't own a generator at the time so I went to my parents and just about boiled water and put it in plastic bags doubled up and got the temp to slowly climb, after about 5 hours I gave up and got a generator last one they had and ran it to get my reef back up, I left my parents to go back to the apartment the tank there was at 60F maybe a little bit cooler, when the power came back on. I thought everything would die, including my zebra morey eel, montiporas, hammers, frogspawns, and many other corals. I didn't lose a single animal. So I wouldn't worry too much about it either. And I let the heater bring the temp back up no adjustments, hope this helps you.

hredder

Two heaters is an EXCELLENT idea. When I get my sump, I'm just going to keep my 150 watt heater and add an extra 100 watt or so.

what size if your tank...dont just add an extra one if you dont need it. you dont want to have toomuch power cuz if by any chance one heater fails to actually shut off your gonna overheat your tank. i have a90 gallon with 2 150 watt heaters..what size if your tank?

miaskies

You know what? I don't use a heater. I have a 4 bulb nova extreme and a skilter on my 55 and my tank stays at 78 degrees. My house is at 74, so the lights and the filter heat my tank.

jjohnson3

Thats amazing miaskies! I would still get a heater just incase the temp in the house were to fail for some reason...